Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a Marlin 36A-DL in 30/30 followed me home>There is no rust on the metal,but the stock has been Bubba`d.The forearm has been scooped in at the rear to come even with the metal work.It does not look terrible,but nothing I would have done.The butt stock is a replacement Bishop stock.The bore looks to be in new like condition.I will throw a peep sight on it and see whatI can do!! This might become a 38/55.Click on link below for a slide show.OB
Marlin 36 Slideshow by OLBIKER_photo | Photobucket

·
Banned
6,933 Posts
The Bluing looks a bit weird. Did you cover it in oil?

Mike T.

·
Banned
6,933 Posts
Yes ,my basement is damp so all my guns get a coating of WD 40 Rust Inhibiter.
Seems to me your precious collection needs to be relocated to a better climate!

Mike T,

Reactions: WRM

·
Registered
9,156 Posts
Seems to me your precious collection needs to be relocated to a better climate!

Mike T,
Like maybe my house.:flute::biggrin: DP

Reactions: miket156

·
Banned
6,933 Posts
Not only a piece of history, a great rifle!

Mike T.

Reactions: OLBIKER

·
Registered
447 Posts
I can see why someone would want to alter it ... They originally have a fat forearm with a flaky varnish on them. It's not a durable finish and scratches off easily.

I've been debating myself whether I want to remove the varnish and go with an oil finish. I think I'll leave it the original shape though.

It's always good to find an older specimen, even if it does have a little personalized love.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Very Nice! :congrats:

·
Premium Member
15,449 Posts
good lookin' rifle
congrats

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
Looks like some beautiful wood. A refinish and some good oil rubs should really bring out that wonderful grain. Ya done good with that one.

·
Registered
10,159 Posts
Nice looking rifle, congrats on the pickup!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Nice! What year is it? Looks like the front sight ramp is much taller than the stock one on mine but the sight itself is the same. Looking again, I think that the sight doesn't even fit right on the ramp(?) Could be that it was replaced to work better with Lyman (or like) side mounted receiver peep sight. I put Williams on mine and in it's lowest setting I have to aim under for shorter distances. No biggie. I rather have that than do any alterations.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Nice! What year is it? Looks like the front sight ramp is much taller than the stock one on mine but the sight itself is the same. Looking again, I think that the sight doesn't even fit right on the ramp(?) Could be that it was replaced to work better with Lyman (or like) side mounted receiver peep sight. I put Williams on mine and in it's lowest setting I have to aim under for shorter distances. No biggie. I rather have that than do any alterations.
1947,i believe you are right about the front sight.I put a Williams receiver sight on it and at 100 yards with a 6 O clock hold it is right in the bulls eye.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts