Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reminded of a valuable lesson this morning.
It's a krappy day outside, the kids are gone to work, I got nothing to do.
So I grab up my beloved 340 Savage .30-30, a box of reloads and head off for the indoor range.
I have a lot of boxes of .30-30, this one was marked 30gr. 3031, 150gr. Sierra indicating it was one of many boxes I had loaded sometime in the past.
I get in my lane, get the target all set up and load a magazine full of rounds.
The bolt won't go home! What the hell!? To make matters worse, the bolt won't open!
I finally get the bolt open and realize that, right at the crimp is a bulge. Not too obvious, but enough to keep the round from going into an apparently tight Savage chamber.
I fumble around in this 20 box, find some rounds that look better and get some shots off.
Long story longer, out of 20 rounds I have 10 that will not chamber in my rifle for various reasons. I have 3 that look as if they had started to fold over at the very bottom of the shoulder?! Add to that 3 dead primers!
Then it dawned on me what I had done. I had been reloading .30-30 several months back and had been interrupted for whatever reason.
Coming back to this pile of brass, I went ahead and primed and loaded thinking I had already resized them!
Apparently not!
Once again I was reminded of what I was taught as a high schooler when I started reloading. When you start a certain lot of brass to reload, do not quit until all the steps are done!!
At the indoor range it was merely inconvenient. With game in my sights I would be going hungry. Defending my family, such a mistake could be life changing!!

·
Registered
508 Posts
I can’t argue with the OP’s overall message - if you can’t pay 100% attention while reloading, stop until you can. But I have a few questions about the details of the story:

• Were the OP’s cases fired in the Savage?
  • How would using unsized cases cause 3 “dead” primers? This cartridge is designed to headspace off the rim.
  • Did any of the cases which fired show a protruding primer? Probably not as the load is about max in both Sierra and Hodgdon data.
  • If the cases were unsized, what kept the bullets in the neck? Most unsized brass will not hold a bullet.
  • Was the OP crimping the bullets? A poorly adjusted crimp die can cause partial shoulder collapse and bulging at the crimp. Not required for the Savage but some do it anyway.

Again I’m not arguing the story, just trying to understand what happened.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rolingblock,
1 No, they were random cases I had about.
2 I have no idea what caused the 3 dead primers
3 No
4 Dunno
5 don't own a crimp die

·
Registered
328 Posts
I have been safely checking my loads in my rifles and handguns as I load them for a while. No need to check every one. Swapping out dies, different lots of brass, different length bullets, it only takes a few seconds to grab the ‘06, krag, colt or smith and check the first couple rounds to verify that they chamber ok and I didn’t change anything the last time I loaded that particular caliber. Now there is certainly a danger doing this and great care and attention is required so as not to shoulder the weapon and pull the trigger. I’d rather find my mistakes at the house rather than at a match. Watched a BAM shooter at one of our shoots have to wrestle his mauser every shot to get the bolt to close on his reloads. Didn’t have any issues at the next match. Range brass can definitely be an issue but desperate times...good luck Mike.

·
Super Moderator
13,327 Posts
Glad it wasn't worse than a simple inconvenience. If I stop in the middle of a batch I usually put a sticky note in the box.

·
Registered
5,082 Posts
This is why we don't work at a nuclear power plant.....
I have an acquaintance, patron at my old watering hole, who, while somewhat likeable and a good patron, I would not have hired him to repair my toilet float valve assembly.
He is an employee at the Duke Energy Nuclear energy plant in Raleigh, NC. When he showed up I always felt safer with fossil fuels. Nor would I have shot any of his reloads, should I have been offered.
All of us have certain skills and I too have had issues in reloading in the past 60 years. To be able to figure out the problem and correct it is much better than the alternative. Reload with caution and enjoy.

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
I make it a point with all of my fired brass as soon as I can after getting back from the range to 1 resize and deprime, 2 expand the necks to fit the type of bullet that I use for them, and 3, clean the brass. My shelves have only brass that has had all of this done. When I am ready to load , all I have to do is prime, charge the powder and seat the bullet. This has worked for me since I started in 1969.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I don’t think I have ever been to an indoor range, here in anti-gun Austin or anywhere else in the country that allowed the shooting of reloads. You’re lucky you weren’t kicked off the range or banned.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
They didn't ask, I didn't volunteer.
I did explain to the range officer what was going on, and how I thought I had determined what mistake I had made. Nothing was said.
The folks at this (un named) range are easy going,low key old school shooters.

·
Super Moderator
11,671 Posts
hen I reload a bunch of ammo I always run them thru the rifle to see if they will chamber properly. Always
I do that with my 300 BLK as they can be "particular" with the various boolits.

·
Super Moderator
11,671 Posts
I don’t think I have ever been to an indoor range, here in anti-gun Austin or anywhere else in the country that allowed the shooting of reloads. You’re lucky you weren’t kicked off the range or banned.
What on earth are you saying?
I shoot nothing BUT reloads at several of the Austin ranges.
Eagle's Peak (outdoor) is my usual go-to, then Shady Oaks (indoor).
I seldom do business with Red's but I'm certain they have no policy against reloads.
You in South Austin?

Reactions: Mike Britton

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Get a chamber gauge. You do not need a stuck live round at the range.

With any ammo used for serious purposes, run it through the action safely,

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
If I can get the action to go into battery with a reload I'm not too worried. It will fireform when I pull the trigger.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts