Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

just need a space to chat and blow off some steam. Today, I decided to quit a new job I had taken on for various reasons. We will start with the main reason;

A good friend (albeit much older than me) called Wednesday night) saying the company he was working for needed some good employees.

I started this job (that I quit today) 5 weeks ago to the day. Since then, it’s been a bit of a rough go. I’ve worked very hard, and have been very efficient and trustworthy. They gave me a significant amount of responsibility as a supervisor but the working environment was cryptic feeling; I felt like I was left to figure things out by myself many times with very little feedback. When I asked I was always told it was ok. Thats fine, I don’t need to be complemented but I’ve been trying very hard to show my proficiency. And any inkling of success would be good to focus on. Sometimes I’ve been dismissed for my ideas and that’s ok too. Not everyone needs to have new ways to skin a cat, some guys prefer tried and true methods and I have zero issue with that. I’m trying to do my job well and be a team player while leading where needed.

Wednesday, my friend calls and says the company would pay me double (when you account for the overtime) and an immediate 33% increase in base hourly wage. The work was in a slightly different field but one I vastly prefer.

When I was hired on at the job I just quit, they asked me about seriousness and dedication to a job and I shared that I was a dedicated employee. But I didn’t promise anything beyond that and I felt that saying I wasn’t a flake was fair to my character (my previous job I had held for years, and I’ve only had 4 in my 12 years of working through school and moving 3 times). I really meant that I would be dedicated, and I really was. I didn’t waste time, I was efficient, I kept a tidy operation and tried to listen as much as I could for how to improve things.
Today I called the Manager and he lit up like a Christmas tree on me. He called me a liar, touting that I was obviously looking for another job (when I never was- it was totally out of the blue and this opportunity fell in my lap Like most good opportunities do) and called me many things I can’t say on TGP and things I haven’t been called since high school!

I stayed calm, and simply spelled out the truth of the matter. My wife and I had our first baby daughter in February, and we bought a house just prior to the pandemic wrecking my other job that I loved. That’s a ton of financial pressure And with her at home I need to take care of things.

I said I was more than willing to give them a week of time seeing as I had been there a month and a bit, but they barked at me to return my keys, IPad and that I was done right then and there. When I returned from the job site to do so, the owner cut into me too. He criticized my character, calling me other things. I simply dismissed the conduct and replied “I do not need to be lectured on what is best for my family any more today” and walked away.

I’ve seen some really uncivil “professionals” in the various trades I’ve worked, but this felt incredibly harsh and out of nowhere. They were saying things about how badly I’d messed up their plans for this season (to put it lightly- they were much more colourful in their expression) and how I was a big disappointment as an employee. Ok sure, disappointing I can understand. You hired me with aspirations for your business but I decided to make a personal decision. I made it clear it wasn’t personal and they didn’t believe me which further made me feel terrible.

Do you guys think I did wrong here? The work we were doing really wasn’t life or death stuff..if anything it’s on the luxury side of things, working for clients of the higher cash-flow kind to build what they want. I’m really not exaggerating either, I’m trying to play it down. But it really hurt me, because I try my best to be transparent all the time. To have someone question my integrity and call me names is so uncommon for me. I make friends with everyone that I can. There’s too much hate in the world as it is. Why add more?

·
Premium Member
2,227 Posts
:dito:

Loyalty is one thing. But for something that just fell into your lap for 5 weeks, then, a BETTER opportunity for you and your family comes along... in these times, In the end, you have to do whats right for you and yours. I see no fault on your part.

Who cares what that person thinks, especially if that's how you were treated in the end. let him be someone else's problem.

I would just move on and let the bad memories fade. Its not like you'll ever need that place as a reference for a future job.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Good for you! Their response to your decision only proves you made the right choice. I understand disappointment at losing a good employee, especially if they weren't in a position to offer competitive wages, but anyone with decency would have been happy for you and your family. I'm certain their superior character and integrity would have prevented them from giving notice and leaving a job for a guaranteed 33% increase in wages and job satisfaction.

Congratulations on the baby girl and new job!

·
Premium Member
14,296 Posts
I agree with kah64. Sounds like you quit the right job. The employer might have problems keeping the position filled due to his own lack of proper communications with his employees and "people skills"

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
I can see the Employer being upset at you leaving so soon after they made a investment in you. But it does sound like they went overboard in the way they handled it. It does cause problems for an employer when someone leaves, especially after such a short time. Now they have to start over again with someone new. It disrupts things, and costs them money I am sure.. But as said you have to do what you think is best for you. Just move on, forget the past, look to the future.. They will go on without you too. All will be forgotten.

I left the work force several years ago. But I always tried very hard and succeeded most of the time to leave on good terms. Some of my former Employers are friends of mine to this day. None are Enemy's... Never know when you may need a job and nice to have somewhere to go back to. I know that will not work well for everyone's scenario. But it always has for me.

No need to dwell on it from either side. It is over and life will go on. Good Luck in the new Venture.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone; to be clear- I did offer a full week for them to find someone else out of the gate- the job market is tight while the influx of people is extreme. We’re talking about hundreds of applicants within a week. Legally I know I wasn’t obligated to give any notice but I wanted to be fair. 2 weeks represented close to 40% of my time with the Company- It simply didn’t make sense to offer. In the end, it was clear their anger and bitterness was more important to display than to approach the situation calmly and make a game plan from there.

·
Super Moderator
11,079 Posts
Rule #1 - look out for yourself first because they for damn sure won't.
I have yet to work for anyone that didn't put themselves first in spite of lofty speeches about teamwork and mutual respect.
HR departments are simply a managerial enforcement arm with no shred of concern for the employees.
I always excuse myself by saying "I don't feel like this is a good fit for me professionally" and leave it at that.
Is there a reason they acted with outright hostility? Sounds weird if there were as many applicants as you say.
Did you get relocation or a signing bonus? Perhaps they knew they had you well below market value.
Anyway say "quack!" as a reminder you need to let it roll off and move on.

·
Super Moderator
11,079 Posts
By the way - another reason occurred to me. My friend and mentor Steve counselled me once on jobs and I have found this funny summary to be 100% accurate.
Here's what he said as verbatim as I remember:

You are hired to do one of three jobs:
1 - The Expert. You have skills and knowledge they need.
2 - Knight in Shining Armor. They are lost and need someone to rally the troops and git-r-done.
3 - Whipping Boy - somewhere, somehow a project has gone south and they need a sacrificial lamb to slaughter.

You can tell which job you were hired for by the following signs:
1 - The Expert is invited to high level meetings with requests to provide solutions or ideas for clearly articulated problems.
2 - The Knight is put in charge of a project in clear disarray with many meetings to get direction and focus.
People ask your opinions and are grateful for your help. Good gig if you get it and can pull it off.
3 - The Whipping boy is ignored, not invited to meetings. People change course when they see you coming.
You are given a task with no obvious support nor people to help you carry it out.
The best solution here is to resign as soon as possible so they can't poison your career.
Say something like "I don't think I'm a good fit for this position". (now you know where that phrase I used previously comes from).

·
Registered
10,900 Posts
I have always been a ride for the brand guy,but when the brand stops caring, I go to take this job & shove it,real fast... Go on & don't look back...

·
Registered
650 Posts
Should be a Mind over Matter kind of incident.

I don't mind so they don't matter.

Reactions: wilecoyote

·
Registered
3,315 Posts
I personally think you did just fine. YOU have a responsibility to look out for your family, especially in these turbulent times. Their attitude when you told them you were leaving indicates that, over the long haul, probably wouldn't have been a good place to work. In addition, You can bet that if they had a notion to, no matter how long you'd been there, and it benefited them, they'd have drop-kicked you right out the door.

Loyalty is one thing, but their behavior suggests that it would have been one sided--loyalty from you; nothing from them.

Carry on and don't lose any sleep over it.

·
Registered
950 Posts
I wonder if perhaps the management is under some intense pressure and you got the blowby. Watch and see what happens --- from far, far away!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks everyone- it helps to have people sharing the sentiments I have with the situation. Even after a day the hurt of it all is starting to fade away. My new employers were happy to have me start next Monday and I’m off to camp for the long weekend with the family. Really appreciate this online community of people.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Thanks everyone- it helps to have people sharing the sentiments I have with the situation. Even after a day the hurt of it all is starting to fade away. My new employers were happy to have me start next Monday and I’m off to camp for the long weekend with the family. Really appreciate this online community of people.
The hurt of it?????? It was a job. You didn't like them and they didn't like you. Suck it up and move on. Are you by any chance a millennial?

Padraig

1 - 20 of 28 Posts