Marlin Firearms Forum banner
21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Maybe a short history lesson is in order. I was just a very young kid at the beginning of WW2 and just 7 years old at the war's end. However, I had several neighbors who mentored me as I got older on shooting and handloading ammo. If you think today is bad, try between 1942 to well after 1945. Everything was unobtanium with rare exceptions. The .22LR was availble in limited supply mainly for sale to farmers to control rodents for eating their crops. The 30-30 was limited to rancher to protect livestock from bigger predators. Food was rationed. Absolutely everything went toward the war effort. Shooters who had supplies to reload their ammo made out, especially those who cast their own bullets. Those old guys not only mentored me but gave me some of my first reloading tools and bullet casting gear along with some srious advice. You never know whenthings get bad enough that you cannot but ammo for you firearms. Always keep a supply on hand and add as much as you can afford.
I listened and had no problems during the Clinton and Obama shortages. I have enough to get me through this latest shortage as well. Probably spend more time casting bullets and prepping them than actual loading ammo. At my age I'll probably pass on before I shoot up what I have left. That's not a bad position to be in these days, enough to last you the rest of your life.
Paul B.

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
Grasshopper shot up his components and ammunition, never giving a thought to stocking up and saving for the cold Winter. Ant worked and saved, thinking ahead, and put away more than enough to get through the hard times.
Product Insect Organism Arthropod Cartoon

·
Registered
168 Posts
You can amass a very "comfortable" amount of components if you never pass up an opportunity to buy when the price is right, and do it year after year.
Hopefully when / if, this latest shortage ends use the lessons learned and buy when a deal presents itself.
I feel for guys that are new to reloading or have purchased a new caliber that they need components for.
Even in the current environment I have scored some deals from Midway USA by placing items I want in my cart and wait for notifications when they are on sale, have free shipping or both.
Last month sitting on my bow stand I saw that they had over runs on sale so I looked at what they had in stock. .338 185gr bonded bullets.......hmmm :unsure: those would work in my .338 Federal.
Got 200 for $69 delivered. Did I need them to work up a load the next day? No, but now its another brick in the Ammo Fort.
You know you are close to having enough ammo and components when you start to think storage areas by how much weight the floor can handle.

REK

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
I feel for guys that are new to reloading or have purchased a new caliber that they need components for.
Even in the current environment I have scored some deals from Midway ....
I haven't bought a 'new' caliber in a while, but I want to add a .30-30 to my stable so I have been able to get 400 pcs of brass, dies and some bullets as well as some factory ammo over the last 3 or 4 months in anticipation of Ruger's new Marlins hitting the LGS. There's always the used market if that doesn't work out - I'd prefer a 336 but would also be happy with a Win 94 in good condition.
Haven't made up my mind on any other new calibers yet.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Antidepressants.

Seriously, we are in a bad situation. I am still ok having bought primers when the last panic ended. Cast bullets are still available if you look around.

Has anyone seen any imported primers? We should be importing them or is it a world wide situation?

·
Registered
36 Posts
I really haven't worked around the shortage problem other than to do some testing using components I already had on hand. Further, I acquired a new rifle in a cartridge for which I already had most of the components, and was able to buy a supply of cast bullets for developing light 'fun' loads. My main limitation in doing more reloading and shooting is in finding jacketed bullets I need and want to try. There are several powders I use that I've been able to find as of late, but I still have a long shopping list of powders that remain out of stock.

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
Danged old shortages really hit home this morning. I had to break into the DOT approved powder locker and dig out a steel can of 4064. At this rate, I'll have enough IMR powders to see me through until Barron Trump gets elected.
Font Gas Electric blue Signage Motor vehicle

·
Premium Member
6,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Danged old shortages really hit home this morning. I had to break into the DOT approved powder locker and dig out a steel can of 4064. At this rate, I'll have enough IMR powders to see me through until Barron Trump gets elected.
View attachment 867273
A friend at a trap range give a tin can IMR 4064 said he's not using it. Well I don't think he every used it its opened but feels full. I gotta go look at it to see if its tghe same sticker price.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
It’s not hoarding,if I was hoarding I would have saved enough for supplying everyone in case of “emergency”

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Last night I bought federal .22s from Walmart $21,50 per 325 ct.

·
Super Moderator
13,768 Posts
I'm not working around it. I learned my lesson in high school in 2008/2009 when I didn't have a pot to piss in and couldn't buy the components if I could find them anyways. At this point it's going to take me 15-20 years to work thru what I have. I shoot with complete confidence, and without worry, and replace what I use when I find it even though it's not entirely necessary.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Supplies are trickling in to stores. Bought a 8 lb. CFE 223 ($184) and 2 lbs H1000 ($40 each) yesterday. Saw SP, LP, SRM, etc. today at the local Bass Pro ($90 per brick). I travel for work which helps a bit. Look for smaller, out of the way spots.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Just saw some CCI primers (SR, SP & LP, but no LR) on the shelf at one of the local reloading supply stores. They are limiting purchases to 400 primers per customers.

·
Premium Member
6,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 · (Edited)
Just saw some CCI primers (SR, SP & LP, but no LR) on the shelf at one of the local reloading supply stores. They are limiting purchases to 400 primers per customers.
Yeah at what prices? In my reach of 50-100 mile who are selling are asking $20. a pack and $200. a brick. My best bet is to keep checking the online reloading suppliers at least through them primers shipped to your door are under $99. a brick.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Bought 3 cans of percussion caps for about 20 dollars last summer i grunted at the hit and even had enough to to last a long time and only have one percussion,( 3 flint rifles) for the perc. Rifle I also bought the last box of balls in 1 store then a .54 cal mold so good,well a guy just offered me a mystery rifle in good condition,a TC ,unknown mod..54 perc.for $100 ( his words ,when I asked ,was it traditional or inline,were ,I don’t know much about muzzleloaders ,but it takes the little caps….) I told him sold,whatever it is ,but I think a Renegade or Hawkin, most likely, I used to say any gun for $50 is worth buying well prices have gone up!he also said he just has no use for it and the money isnt a big thing.also incl. powder balls and caps. I don’t have a lot of free cash right now but enough for that .
I guess even a blind dog with three legs catches a rabbit once in awhile.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Yeah at what prices? In my reach of 50-100 mile who are selling are asking $20. a pack and $200. a brick. My best bet is to keep checking the online reloading suppliers at least through them primers shipped to your door are under $99. a brick.
I didn't ask the price since I was mainly looking for LR primers which they did not have. I wish I would have bought the limit of SR primers as when I got home and checked my supply I noted I was running a little low on SR primers. I saw them on the shelf on a Friday and checked back the following Monday and they were all gone. Midway USA had some CCI LR primers on their site a few weeks ago, but were around $75 for a brick of 1,000 and not eligible for the free shipping offer they had at the time. So by the time one would have paid the shipping and haz mat fees it would have cost a little over $100, so I passed on the offer. Had they have had in stock some of the powders I need, I probably would have ordered since it would have spread the haz mat fee over more product, but such was not the case.

·
Premium Member
6,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
I didn't ask the price since I was mainly looking for LR primers which they did not have. I wish I would have bought the limit of SR primers as when I got home and checked my supply I noted I was running a little low on SR primers. I saw them on the shelf on a Friday and checked back the following Monday and they were all gone. Midway USA had some CCI LR primers on their site a few weeks ago, but were around $75 for a brick of 1,000 and not eligible for the free shipping offer they had at the time. So by the time one would have paid the shipping and haz mat fees it would have cost a little over $100, so I passed on the offer. Had they have had in stock some of the powders I need, I probably would have ordered since it would have spread the haz mat fee over more product, but such was not the case.
I can understand why you pass on one single item giving their shipment and Haz-mat cost, I would too. I don't have the luxury of LGS that sell reloading supplies near me. I would have to travel a hour or more to the closes Gun store that may have what need. Giving the cost of gasoline and toll from door to gun store that has reloading supplies the online reloading supplers shipment and Haz-Mat is a wash. This is how I see it.

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
Yesterday I went into town to get household goods because a cold spell is going to hit tonight through the weekend. Temps down to 0 or below next few nights. At the local Ag Supply I took a detour through the ammunition/reloading aisles. No powder, some loaded ammunition, a good selection of Berry's plated bullets and cast lead bullets. And there it was, the sign for Large Rifle primers. Limit two per customer, ask at cash register. I have a lot of primers, but I figured a couple hundred more would be OK as long as I was here. So I went to the register, the salesman said they are CCI Benchrest Large Rifle. I'd better have two. He brought two out, and shock set in. Oh....I'd better have one. $10.64 with tax. I'm still loading the S&B, Federal, and Winchester primers I stashed after Sandy Hook, $19.95 - $24.95/brick. I don't know if I'm ready for the New Normal.
Gadget Font Display device Automotive exterior Electric blue

·
Registered
767 Posts
Yes I want to know how you are working around this BS component shortage. Ok I worked round my new interest in reloading for my Rem. 788 223rem. by buying CCI 450 Mag. primers and using Speer online data that have a load to use speer 55 gr. projectiles and CCi 450 mag. primers +AA2520, W748 powders I used Starline brass even new old stock Fed 200 SR primer +A2520 - 23.0 -HDY 55 gr. flat base SP. with excellent accuracy at 100 yards.

So tell me how did you get through this BS shortage?
I bought quite a bit of components years back way before the pandemic. Started after the 2008 elections. Got plenty of primers, bullets, and powder. I think the only thing that is hard to find, today, is powder and primers, at a reasonable price. But I'm ok at least for now. Luck favors the prepared.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts