Marlin Firearms Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
931 Posts
When I first start looking for a .357, there was not a Marlin around. So, I looked online at GrabAgun.com: Lever Action Rifles
There was not any list there either. But, I selected to be notified. Within a month or so, I received notification. Had the rifle sent to a FFL for an inspection, with a 10 day return policy for defects. The rest is history.

Happy hunting.

·
Registered
931 Posts
. . . After hours of looking online, the 30-30s are SOOOO much more common, and affordable! I could get a JM 336 tomorrow! I guess thats good, because if I can't fond an 1894, I may just get a 336. If I get a good deal, I should always be able to recoup my money and get a .357 later. . .
My cut, get what you want. If not, it will nag at you.

·
Registered
5,108 Posts
My 1894C was born in May of ‘17. I’ve had no problems; killed two deer with it so far.

·
Super Moderator
11,764 Posts
I bought a Henry 357 on clearance today at Walmart for $399. Now just have to wait another 3 days per store policy to bring it home. Might be worth checking your local stores.

·
Premium Member
2,921 Posts
If you want a 357 in a lever gun and made by Marlin, by a real JM. This is what I do when I buy guns. I buy the real deal weather it's Marlin, S&W, Remington, Winchester, and Weatherby. Not this new crap with the old name. Often most are NIB or like new and the cost might be just a couple hundred more than what the new crap is going for. Sometimes I actually pay less compared to the new crap. By the way, I'm a blue collar guy that watches my money. Auctions are good to me.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Are you saying one can shoot .357s out of a 35 Remington? I can't see how, but could be wrong. If that's not what you mean, what DO you mean?

I want a 357 Marlin as well but decided I'd just shoot 158gr cast pistol bullets in my 336 35R what the hell I have 3 that don't get used anyway.

·
Super Moderator
23,779 Posts
A 35 Rem has a ~.358 inch bore so 357 mag pistol bullets can be shot from a 35 Rem. Reloaders have been doing that for a long time after slugging the rifle bore to see what the grove and land dimensions are.

Reactions: rob42049

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
I own one Remlin, it is a CSS from 2008. I bought it second hand after he had sent it to RPP for some work. It works fine. I have over 30 Marlins and only that one is REP, so you know my opinion.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I really like my 1894 CSBL 38/357. Yeah it's a remlin but it's par with any JM I've owned. The attention to detail is reflected in the price though, I think they come out of the custom shop. I spent about an hour tuning and slicking up the action and installed a Ranger Point trigger and lever screw. It really puts a smile on my face just working the action!

·
Registered
157 Posts
Lol. There sure are a lot of die hard JM owners out there, I for one, but then you have those that would rather eat their young then to buy a Remlin but the real truth in the matter is that there really are very good Remlins out there. I have one.

·
Registered
14,046 Posts
I own one Remlin, it is a CSS from 2008. I bought it second hand after he had sent it to RPP for some work. It works fine. I have over 30 Marlins and only that one is REP, so you know my opinion.
Is your CSS stamped with a JM or an REP? My JM 2008SS is serial numbered on the receiver(late 2008) 92219xxx. Early 2008 SS rifles were serial numbered on the upper tang. I thought the .357 Mag CSS came out in model year 2009 with a 91xxxxxx serial on the receiver and a JM stamp. The late 2010 CSS rifles had a 918xxxxx number and an REP proof as they were assembled in Ilion, New York.

I don't understand how you could have a Remlin from 2008, production didn't move to New York until Mid-2010. Before Mid-2010, all Marlins were made in North Haven, Connecticut by Marlin employees. What is the serial number on your 1894CSS?

Here's my 2008 1894SS in .44 Mag.
Picture0323190928_1 - Edited (2).jpg

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
It has S/N on the receiver. I'll double check.

·
Premium Member
1,642 Posts
But, I don't think I will be able to afford a JM stamped Marlin unless I get extremely lucky. I know the Marlin/Remlin QC story. We currently have a 1997 336 and a 1971 39D in the house. 5 years or so we had an 1894 in .44mag, and while being a Remlin, it was an accurate rifle.

Out of what's sold new, here's my 2 cents:
-Rossi: I want a better rifle than that
-Winchester: I could and would get a JM for that money
-Henry: I prefer the Marlin loading gate, and hate Henry Buckhorn sights.
-Marlin: all the potential Remlin issues

Of the 4, I greatly prefer Marlin. But I don't want to spend hundreds on "a problem" gun i can't trust. I want a .357 specifically to be my "truck rifle." General purpose, all purpose, could deer hunt with it but probably won't unless I'm stalking(I'm generally a treestand bow/30-06/blackpowder hunter.) I have .38 and .357 pistols already, they can share ammo. It'll live in a case under the seat of my truck most of the time, so I don't need pristine/high value, and it might get ghost ring sights.

So. Is it stupid to buy an 1894 Remlin? Whats the best and worst years for them? Whats the most you'd spend on one?
big ben

Henry has a new model X in pistol cartridges including 357. Side gate and tube feed. No wood, only black and more of a tactical sight setup.

·
Registered
395 Posts
The best way to get a new .357 Remlin is to buy it in person. That way you can go over everything before you hand over the cash. I was in the same boat and ended up waiting out for the right price on an online auction JM 1894 (750). I found one a few weeks later at a LGS for 699 and it was beat to hell. So, be patient if a JM is what you want.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I have 2 remlins and they are good, yes I would look them over. Mine have been great. I have an 1894 44 mag and 1894C 357 mag. They are fun as can be. The 357 is the baby 30 30. with a 125 grain XTP, you shoot them at about 2100-2200 fps, they shoot very well.

·
Registered
14,046 Posts
It has S/N on the receiver. I'll double check.
I'm curious about your 1894CSS. . Is it a 918xxxxx number or a MRxxxxxx? The BATFE let Remington use the 91xxxxxx numbers through mid-2011. After that they changed to MRxxxxxx. Barrel stamps will read North Haven Conn all the way into 2012-2013.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Ops I was mixing it up with my .44 SS. My .357 is a Rep stamp.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts