Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As most would have guessed I haven't been yet. I am into day seven and the weather has been lousy. However I have done well in my Wife's eyes. I got the yard cleaned up some, cut the grass and cleaned out the ditch. I'll be on a poop scooping mission today and burning some Pine cones and limbs. I did get my boat trailer licensed, GERR $101.00. Got to put some new line on my Crappie Busters and spinning rods also. I also purchased my Wife a new dishwasher and even installed it. What a nightmare. Tomorrow me and POP'S are going fishing. I choose the first week of May for my vacation because in the past 3 years I have been able to stock my freezer with White Perch fillets. White Perch bite well this time of year on Beatle spins. In the past few years I have been able to locate the Perch, and catch about 60 a day. They all have averaged citation size 12 and 3 quarter inches. That makes for good fillets and lots of fun. We have had some dirty water because of a lot of rain. I hope it pans out well for the Perch and just in case I'm taking some small minnows for Bream and Crappies.

·
Premium Member
8,044 Posts
daggone those honeydos get in the way everytime if mother nature does not rain on the parade!!!! I hope you get out and catch some of those fish with pops!!!! I spent the last weekend at the farm playing in the mud, clearing ditches and brush.............

·
Premium Member
1,169 Posts
Boy that sounds like fun. Will you be out in the sound or back in the more brackish water ? I guess it's fairly fresh after a bunch of rain. I've been thru that area a few times on the ICW, and driven thru a time or two. Looks fishy.

·
Registered
7,925 Posts
In my life I developed a Sure Fire way to AVOID the HONEY DO list.

Don't get married!

Happy fishin, Perch filets are yummy!

Mike T.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We will be fishing near Tulls Creek bridge. I fish a lot at Indian Town Creek also. Indian Town Creek holds a lot of Large Flye Bream. My favorite eating fish are Puppy Drum, then Black Drum. The limit is only 1 per person on Puppy Drum. The Black Drum show up ever so often in any abundance. My next favorite table fair would be White Perch then Flye Bream. Catching White Perch on a beetle spin is a hoot, but I can't seem to put the ole cane pole down.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Best of Luck to you on the fishing trip. I do hope you catch a lot of fish and of course ole fighter too.

Enjoy the Journey
444GS2

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Me and Pappy finally hooked up yesterday morning at 10:30 am. We got our meeting place confused. He was at another boat ramp. He finally located me. He was suppose to stop at Currituck Sports bait shop to get some minnows , ice and small long shank bream hooks. The power was out so he was not able to get any of our necessary stuff. I left him and went and got some ice. We got on the water about 11:00. I checked my first spot and didn't get a bite. I new we were in for a bad day because of the wind. While doing my check over on the boat I found that my trolling motor was shot. Oh well it gave me 17 years of good service. We went to the next location and 2nd cast gave up a nice citation size White Perch. Several casts more produced a 13 inch perch. He was a brute I hollered like Troy on Swamp People for Pop to shoot him before he turns the boat over. Pappy got tickled over that one. That perch was so deep and thick Dad thought he was a White Bass.We don't have White Bass in our waters. We only caught 7 and 1 nice Bream. It got to hot for us and windy so we packed it in for the day. Next trip will definitely be with a new trolling motor and a much better quality seat for Pappy. I hope other's who might have had the opportunity to get out on the water had a better day. All in all even a bad day on the water with Dad is better than a good day without him. I am looking forward to him moving in with me very soon. His Wife passed about 2 month ago and his eyes are causing him major problems. He won't be able to drive much longer. He got a lung disease from Pigeon dust from inside Air Craft Hangers. This has effected his eye sight. When he looks at a object he sees ever thing around the object and not the object itself. Can't wait until we go out again. I teased him because I have to retrieve his lures out of trees a lot. I told him yesterday that if I new he wanted to go bird hunting I would have brought him a shotgun. LOL

·
Premium Member
8,044 Posts
Man what a day Gabby, wish I still had my pop's around to go fishing. Love'em while you got'em and those days you just had will live forever. sorry for the troubles but all planned events go awry, at least mine do..........bet those perch were good tasting.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I normally fillet the White Perch, but because I had so few I scaled them and left the bone in. I don't mind bones and the fish taste better cooked with the bones in, gives a sweater taste.

·
Premium Member
1,169 Posts
Sounds like a good day, on the water with your dad, that's great. I hope the fish are thicker and problems fewer next time out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.