Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got an email touting these things.
I'm at a loss to explain how it can distinguish between a hard barrier and squishy tissue.
My guess is creative marketing until I see a plausible demo.
Then it sounds like it fragments immediately - what good is that?

Reactions: JMAG54

·
Registered
242 Posts
I have done exactly zero scientific testing of these. I have bought and fired several frangible loads, especially in the early 2000’s when the Air Marshals were touting them. I could never get a single one that shot point of aim. Too light and too fast. I guess that doesn’t matter with a belly shot situation but I can’t stand a load that doesn’t hit where you aim. Idk. Every year there is a new and improved way of throwing a slug of lead at someone. Now days I load my defensive pistol with good ol 45 230 grain fmj. Always feeds and goes where it’s supposed to. Then again I don’t get in many gunfights so what do I know ?

·
Premium Member
3,550 Posts
I was fortunate enough to get opportunities to use over 10k rds of frangible ammo, both rifle and pistol, that hit within .25 to 1 inch of my regular POA/POI. This was all under 50yds but usually MUCH closer, with one exercise being a foot off AR500 3/4in thick steel circles. Usually it's bang-ding. That was more like BA-DING BA-DING. And against steel targets good frangible projectiles simply powder. It was really cool.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
The purpose, and the reason air marshals use them is to prevent a bullet from passing through someone and hitting someone else in tight quarters. Or to prevent going through the fuselage of a plane and causing depressurization for air marshals. And in apartments, to reduce the possibility of a round from going through a couple of walls and hitting a neighbor on a miss.

·
Super Moderator
11,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The purpose, and the reason air marshals use them is to prevent a bullet from passing through someone and hitting someone else in tight quarters. Or to prevent going through the fuselage of a plane and causing depressurization for air marshals. And in apartments, to reduce the possibility of a round from going through a couple of walls and hitting a neighbor on a miss.
Yes, but these are supposed to pass through barriers but somehow splinter in soft flesh.

Reactions: kobeinu
1 - 5 of 5 Posts