Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After work today, I made a mistake coming home and turned the wrong direction. I stopped in a local gun shop to shoot the breeze with the guys and look around the shop. It took me all of 5 minutes to get in trouble.

There on the used gun rack was a nearly new Marlin XS-7 in 308 with the Black stock. I looked the gun over real close and saw nothing to even suggest it had been fired. 8)

Needless to say, once I looked at the price of $269, I walked over to the counter to fill out the paperwork for a lay-a-way. I walked into the shop with $40, and I walked out with an empty wallet and a receipt for my 4th "X" gun. :eek:

I just can't help myself. I wonder if there is a AA chapter for Marlin "X" gun owners. Maybe it would be listed under MOA. Marlin Owners Anonymous. ;)

·
Super Moderator
15,957 Posts
Your problem sir is not yours alone!.. As I type this, I know where a .243 XS7 stands with the synthetic stock for about $225.00 ....................It's whispering ....psst...psst looky here Mr Fixit ::) :eek: ;) Mr fixit

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My next problem is deciding if I should even shoot this gun. I'm thinking it could be a donor for a 250 Savage, 260 Remington, or 358 Winchester. Or I could keep it as is and use it for a long range critter sniping gun instead of buying a new Varmit model "X" gun.

I'm hopeless. :-\

·
Registered
869 Posts
On The good side Your Wife does Not have to worry about You stoping at the bar on the way Home LOL Congrads DD

·
Super Moderator
13,306 Posts
Note to self: Get lost more often!!!!

I never can find ones like that, I'm going to start lurking around pawnshops and leaving my name and number at the local gun shops to call me if they get any X guns in.

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
I would have to shoot it and then decide what to do..

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
dmsbandit said:
I just can't help myself. I wonder if there is a AA chapter for Marlin "X" gun owners.
AA - Add Another - So Cal Chapter President

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
WYcoyote said:
Never shoot the donor gun, that way you won't know.
What if it's a one holer?
That's what worries me. My other 308 "X" gun is a 1 holer and has shot the best 3 shot group I've ever shot.

I guess if I did shoot it, it could be a spare barrel for my other short action "X" guns. :-\

·
Premium Member
2,031 Posts
Oh heck...shoot it!! Those 308win. are sweet. You might just fall in love when you find out how reloader friendly and accurate the 308 can be.

But if it turns out to be a donor rifle, I've always thought a .25-08 would be an interesting experiment.

City Slicker

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
City Slicker said:
Oh heck...shoot it!! Those 308win. are sweet. You might just fall in love when you find out how reloader friendly and accurate the 308 can be.

But if it turns out to be a donor rifle, I've always thought a .25-08 would be an interesting experiment.

City Slicker
What about a 25x284 ? 25-06 speed and range in a short action. ;D

·
Premium Member
2,031 Posts
A 25x284 would be very nice....and a 26x284 would be interesting as well. The Hornady 129gr SP boolit should move right along in a case that size.

My only concern would be 284win brass is a little harder to find than 308win.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Build a 358 Win., You won't regret it! Reloader friendly and very accurate with a lot of punch. Mine is quickly becoming my favorite round.I just wish mine was built on a XS7 action.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Hey Mr. fixit if you need any help removing that temptation just let me know via PM. I'll be glad to come to your rescue. Niner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts