Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My buddy and I went to the range yesterday to break in his new 1894SS, and it was shooting 3" groups at 25 yards. One club member was watching, and was telling my buddy those were good groups for a lever gun.....I about choked. I had brought my 336/35 Remington, and had shot a couple of groups at 50 yards, three shots apiece, each under an 3/4 inch. I pulled the target on the next break, showed it to the onlooker, and told him not to believe everything he read in gun rags. He about swallowed his tongue when he saw the groups, then he wanted to see the rifle, the shell, the scope, everything. Then he looked over at his gun, a Remington bolt-action 30-06, and said that his gun didn't shoot as well as mine. He handled my gun for a long time, worked the butter-smooth action, peered thru the scope.....He finally set it down, started to pack up his gear, and said, "I think I'm gonna hafta git me one of them. What's that shell called again?" "35 Remington" I said, and he wrote it down. Another skeptic converted. It was a good day!

Papajohn

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
There is nothing like the thrill of hunting with a lever.. I don't care what them gun rag writers think or say.. I have 336 30-30 I love it. its puts meat in the freezer for sure.. I have touched holes at 100 yds on paper also .. with the Winchester Power Points. 170 gr..

·
Administrator
23,793 Posts
Had my son over the other day, I was shooting my .35 and he was impressed, I told him wait until I work up a good load. I was blowing out brass with some 158gn pistol bullets and 33 gns of RX7, I was tagging my 2 inch steel spinner at 50yds. He wants it.

·
Premium Member
14,841 Posts
Proselytizing is a good thing with Marlins. :lol: Way to go!!!

Dave 8)

·
Premium Member
18,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was out there a couple weeks ago and a guy had a 336 in 30-30 with a cheapo scope on it, and was getting 4" groups at 50. I suggested tightening the scope mounts, but that didn't help. So he eventually took the scope off and shot a group with the open sights, right at an inch for five shots. He said two people had seen his earlier groups and opined that was about as good as it gets with a levergun. We have forty years of bad press to overcome. Preach, brothers, preach!

PJ (Prosetelizing Juggernaut)

·
Registered
201 Posts
I love it when I take My .35 to the range and all of these guy's come up asking what is it and that they've never heard of it etc. Mine was my fathers from Maryland, I get the feeling there aren't too many up here in the northwest. No one carries factory ammo for it except Wally world carries Remington corelokt. Glad I roll my own for it. I love this round!

·
Registered
26 Posts
I've shot a 4 7/8" group at 100 yards with iron sights in the knealing position. I never doubted the Marlin 336 but to be honest, I was suprised that I had it in me. I wonder what I could do if I laid of the coffee and practice a little more.

·
Premium Member
18,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've said this before and I'll repeat it.....if the 35 Remington had been introduced BEFORE the 30-30, the 30-30 would have died a lonely death a long time ago. I like them both, but when it comes to downrange energy and killing power, the 35 outshines the 30 WCF by a WIDE margin. Hunters are a stubborn lot, and there was a lot made of the 30-30's ballistic superiority over the existing calibers of the day, plus it used that new-fangled smokeless powder. By the time the 35 Rem. came out a few years later, most people who were in the market for a new deerslayer had already bought a thutty-thutty, and weren't about to spend another chunk of dough for an unproven new caliber. Had the timeline been reversed, the 35 would reign as the supreme Bambi/Hog/Bear basher of all time, and the 30-30 would be a slim footnote in the annals of gun history. But that didn't happen, and the 35 is now a cult favorite for those willing to invest the time and energy to show what it offers.

Who knows, maybe a hundred years from now the truth will win out, and the 35 will take its well-deserved place as the king of the levergun calibers, along with the 45/70 and the 32-20. But not if we don't keep it alive!

Preach it, brothers, only the choir is listening!

Papajohn

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
To me not enough difference between the two when hunting Whitetails.. just my personal opinion..

You can tune the levers to shoot better using the barrel bands.. believe me it makes the world of difference if you have them out of sinc and too tight.. Plus if you put the same gr bullet a 150 from each up the 30-30 has more energy and is flatter shooting as far as factory loads go.. look at Remingtons chart and compare.. I do agree for bear and hogs I would prefer the 200 gr 35. but would not hesitate to use a 30-30..

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
Awesome job there papajohn. cmar we are just more spread out. And Tubby if you read this I was not talking about Bear, Bear if you read this I was not talking about Tubby. :p :p Over here in Kitsap at the range on Clear Creek Rd, near Poulsbo, Poulsbo Sportsmans Club, we have a pretty fair group of Western shooters one weekend a month. I have watched a few times and even brought some rifles to show but just haven't done the Cowboy shooting thing.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I'm sure this and other forums have changed several peoples minds.

Me for one. I wanted something more appropriate to my shooting needs. That being under 100 yards and most between 30 and 50 yards. I wanted a heavier bullet. I started out wanting a 308 with a 200 grain bullet. So I started with wanting a 358 win. But I couldn't get passed the Browning cost and at the time straight stock. After much research and reading yours and other posts I finally became convinced that the 35 Rem was for me. So a bought a new one and got a buck on the maiden hunt.

I am a believer. It killed that buck as fast if not faster than the 270 I was using all the years prior. And it came in a nice light fast handling gun.

Now the only problem is that I keep looking at those fat straight walled 444 and 45/70 bullets!

Went to the range last saturday and I was expecting to have to explain what a 35 Rem was. But the range man said. "great gun and great caliber, I've used one for 20 years and never had a deer get away from me."

God its nice to talk to someone who knows and loves the 35!

·
Registered
316 Posts
My .35 Remington and the 200-gr core-locks are going out with me for the week-end, we leave at noon tomorrow. I will post pics when I get back.... going after the biggest thing I can find on 4 legs - browtined or over.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I can shoot sub 5" groups at 100 yards with my 1895 and factory sights. That has caught the attention of some guys at the range.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Last year sighting in my scope on my .35 caught the attention of several other hunters/shooters. Especially as ugly the outards are on mine.

This year using handloads and open sights. Shot several 3 shot groups right at 3" or slightly under at 75 yds resting on top of a fence post.

BTW I read here where one member uses the top of the bead for POI up close and bead is the bullet at longer ranges. For me at 35 yds about 2" high dot on bead and about 3" high at 75. I think my groups would have been better farther out if I was shooting a bigger target the bead covered up the 3" dot I was shooting at.

Not sure how fast these are going but I'm using right at 37 gr of 3031. I think I'm going to like that load gives pretty close if not 100% load density.

I love that .35 with good handloads you are pushing a fatter heavier bullet than the good old 30-30 at about the same speed. What's not to love?

·
Premium Member
18,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I went to the range again today, and it seemed like everyone there was shooting a Marlin of one caliber or another. One guy had a 45/70, my buddy had a 357 and a 38, I had my 44 and a 30-30, two other guys showed up with a 444 and another 30-30. Nobody shot a group over three inches but me, with the 44 and a load it hated. All the rest were under two inches at fifty yards, and some were one-inchers, or better. The guy with the 45/70 shot a one-holer for five rounds, grinned, packed up and said, "Bambi's ass is MINE!" I'm still playing with loads for my 30-30, but none were over an inch for five at fifty. One guy, who was shooting shotgun slugs, told me that he'd never seen groups that small from ANY levergun, and when I told him I was hoping for half that, his jaw almost hit the dirt. When I pulled out my targets from last week and showed him what my 35 had done, he about wet himself. I'm glad I still had the targets with me, or he would have thought I was talking out of my backside. Now if I could just find that perfect load for my 30-30......But I'm getting close! I told my buddy today that if the 30-30 won't shoot a half-inch group at 50 yards, I'm gonna unload it, and he offered me $100 more for the gun than I paid for it, right there. People just don't think levers will shoot, until you show them.

Preach, Brothers, Preach, only the choir can hear us!

Papajohn

1 - 15 of 15 Posts