Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I came to MO in December because I wanted a 45-70 and thought I wanted a GBL.After reading about the problems with some of the newer guns I decided to wait. Then I found and bought a used (JM)1894 in 44Mag and love it but I still want a 45-70. I have been looking at the 1895 Guide guns and have found some older ones new and used that I like the looks of. Can anyone tell me if there are any years that were better than others? any changes over the years? Would it be worth paying a little more for a NIB that is 4or 5 years old or try to find a used one?Thanks,
JW

·
Registered
308 Posts
Fair chance that feeling won't go away, I know it didn't with me!
Wait for a good one, doesn't really matter whether it's NIB or little used and grab it, pay whatever you are prepared/have to pay because if you let a good opportunity go by for an insignificant amount of money you'll regret it eventually.
Here's a teaser to make sure that feeling doesn't subside!
Cheers,
Waldo

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
All these Pictures don't help my Marlinitis at all :)
I got it bad ;)

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
JW

This 1895 Giude 45-70 is my first Marlin, first lever and first 45-70. Mounted a VX-3 1.75-6x32mm and she is a tack driver.

I shot this group with the Nosler 300 gr BST (Nosler factory seconds) at 100 yds while sighting in the scope, .400" c/c!

JD338

·
Registered
593 Posts
JW said:
I came to MO in December because I wanted a 45-70 and thought I wanted a GBL.After reading about the problems with some of the newer guns I decided to wait. Then I found and bought a used (JM)1894 in 44Mag and love it but I still want a 45-70. I have been looking at the 1895 Guide guns and have found some older ones new and used that I like the looks of. Can anyone tell me if there are any years that were better than others? any changes over the years? Would it be worth paying a little more for a NIB that is 4or 5 years old or try to find a used one?Thanks,
JW
If you want a 45-70 you need to get one. It makes the .44 mag seem like a pop gun. As far as quality goes you can get any model from 2009 and back. The problems jsut recently started.

·
Registered
32,303 Posts
I am sorry to tell you guys but your affliction is incurable.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I felt the same way you did and was concerned with the quality issues etc. Finally bought a 2007 slightly used XLR on gun broker last summer. Had the barrel cut to 20in and took it to the range. It grouped less than 2in with the Remington 405gr and almost 1 in with the hornaday lever ammo. Buy one, you won't regret it!!

·
Premium Member
4,459 Posts
I never wanted a .45-70. Figured my 336SS .30-30 and my 1894SS .44 magnum was all I needed. Then I walked into my gun shop and there was this gorgeous 2005 1895GS .45-70. Looked it over and thought, why do I need this gun? I am not a hunter, I only shoot paper targets, and if I did hunt there's nothing BIG around here in Apex, NC to shoot at. Few weeks later it was still there. A month later it was still there. Another two months later it was still there. I asked the owner what was wrong with the gun. He said. "Ain't nuthin wrong widdit, just not the raght season 'round here yet. 'bout couple more months it be gone outta here fer sure."

- - - - any question which one is the .45-70?

Oh, forgot to mention - - - - it was $525 out the door - - - - - - - - - - - no lie!

GB45

·
Registered
32,303 Posts
Never met a 45-70 Marlin I did not like. (ok all calibers)

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
Shop around for a used one, price range $400 blued to $550 stainless..
I wouldn't buy a new one site unseen!!!
Your best off shopping around in the used gun racks..
Good luck!!! :)

·
Premium Member
7,659 Posts
mainecat said:
Shop around for a used one, price range $400 blued to $550 stainless..
I wouldn't buy a new one site unseen!!!
Your best off shopping around in the used gun racks..
Good luck!!! :)

Down here in Fla. I have seen exactly 1 used 1895 GS. He wanted more than A new one.

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
Folks just can't part with them and I can see why!!! ;)

It's well worth shopping around, also check Dick's sporting goods, I've heard of a few folks getting sweet deals there on new ones.. 8)

Up my way, Cabela's don't even stock them!!! :-\

·
Premium Member
2,383 Posts
JW said:
JW
The one change I can think of on the 1895GG is the first year they had barrel porting.I think that was 2001.I had a first year stainless GG.It was very loud to fire it,but did control the muzzle well.Just want to inform you of that change.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Levergunz you are close on the 2001 date on the ports. I have a ported 98' model, I belive that was the first year for the ported GG. It's the only lever gun I own, got my eye on a 71' 444S.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.