Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Remember that game? Well we are about to play it and test your knowledge. I was at my local bow shop and saw a Marlin 336 on the shelf. It was used so this could be a total custom job. I was preoccupied with something and didn't get to look at the gun. Its been bugging me so I called and got his son, all he could tell me is that its a Marlin 336. He's more into fishing than guns. Anyway it was priced a bit on the high side and I'm going back to check it out. So this is what y'all have been waiting for. I spy..... it had a black synthetic stock and appeared to be the length of a guide gun. Had a mule loop and here's what might give it away. The barrell, mag tube, forend band and receiver was gunmetal gray. Not stainless or blued. Looked like it came from the factory like this. So any ideas?

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Re: I spy something.......

Gotta be a custom job, have never seen nor heard of a factory gun like that.

·
Premium Member
2,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Found a pic that closely resembles what I'm talking about. He says its a custom national match Marlin 336.

·
Premium Member
2,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Minus scope and sling. Add a mule loop and a bit darker on the finish. But you get the idea of what I'm talking about. If this is a custom then I may just go get it in the morning. They want $730.

·
Premium Member
7,694 Posts

Better be A durn nice custom job for that money.

·
Premium Member
2,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Gaterskiner said:
Better be A durn nice custom job for that money.
I agree. It looked pretty nice. Tomorrow I will put my hands on it and take some pictures. I may just save an old Marlin and have the work done to look like it. I have never really liked the mule loops but after seeing it on that gun. Wow, gotta have one now.
micky_blue said:
Kinda looks like Superiors work.
Thanks I will check out their work.

·
Super Moderator
12,206 Posts

I wish Marlin would offer a target gray finish similar to Ruger's. Now that would be different..

·
Premium Member
2,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

lever addict said:
He says its a custom national match Marlin 336. He's got to be kidding...right? ???
Could be. The quote and pic came from snipershide forum. They were ranting about "custom" guns for sale.

·
Premium Member
2,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: I spy something....... update with pics

Got pics and after getting a close up of the gun I am very disappointed. I'm sorry about the quality of the pics, I just snapped some with my camera phone.

·
Premium Member
2,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This gun is on consignment. It has a WWG loop, the rear sight was removed and filled(poorly done) this is a 78 336 30-30 with a poorly fit synthetic stock. He did tell me that the guy had a parkerized finish added but that too was poorly done. Overall I like the concept and it gives me an idea for a project gun that I can do for less than the $730 asking price.

·
Premium Member
4,447 Posts
I was just adding that it is PARKERIZED when you updated the post. Too bad they took a good Marlin and screwed it up. Probably why he is getting rid of it because of the poor job done. . . . Way too much money for something like that...

GB45

·
Premium Member
2,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Golfbuddy45 said:
Probably why he is getting rid of it because of the poor job down. . . . Way too much money for something like that...

GB45
I was told that the gun hasn't been fired since the job was done. Id be sick to my stomach. Ii want that look, now I just gotta find someone that does a good job. This project is about to get started.

·
Registered
9,455 Posts
Tomato stake cometition. ;D

·
Premium Member
2,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just found a possible canidate. 52 336 30-30 for $225. Receiver has some pits and of course its not tapped for bases. Trigger wobbles a bit side to side.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Saw a picture of a Marlin done by Wild West Guns. Looks simular to that. They do parkerize from what I read. Guess someone tried to copy.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts