Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
it slugs out with a .432 grove. So, I guess all 44 Marlins(1894's) are not .431 as so many suggest. I have not shot any cast bullets as of yet, but the largest diameters I see seem to max out at .432

Next to cast will be my 375 Marlin, and that should be interesting also. I used the Beartooth sinkers for the slugs, and it went pretty slick as they have a taper and are not too over-bored.

Any suggestions as to what commercial cast bullet to try in this 44? I only have Unique and 231 for powders. Pistol powders like H110, 2400, and 296 are non-existent here! I have 240gr Horn

jackets(.430), but I don't see any loads with Unique in the 44 mag case. I shot 15 rnds of Win 240 white box just to adjust the sights to 50yds..14th shot was dead center, and the 15th took out a baseball size rock @ about 110. So, it seems to be minute-of-deer anyway! Cleaning the rifle was fast and very little copper.

All in all, I am pleased with this rifle. I would say the finish is 1 step behind a JM (I have 4 JM rifles). The edges of the rifle are sharp, especially the lever...you can scrape the back of your finger nail on it! The screws are made of some junk pot metal? I actually CHIPPED the lever take down screw! ( I have special bits for Marlin lever guns, so this was not Bubba). Marlin sent me 2 new screws. The gun seems to be machined well. I was going to polish the hammer/bolt contact points and the ejector grove, but they looked fine. Tight gun, and cycled well Material property Metal Wood
Tan Leather Shoe Metal
Gun Trigger Shotgun Revolver
Brown Beige Textile Pattern Floor
Finger

·
Registered
441 Posts
Missouri Bullet used to make a 240 gr .432" RNFP that could be driven hard. After my last order (not too long ago) they disappeared from the website. You might call and ask as they are right friendly folks.

I run them with a full charge of h110 or 300-MP. 10gr Unique for plinking

·
Banned
19,622 Posts
Call Rimrock Bullets in Montana for .432 cast,either 200 gr RNFP or 240 gr RNFP. I use 8.8 grains of Unique or 8.3 grains of W231/HP38 with the 240 and a std primer in any cartridge case,and they hit to the same place as my full power jacketed loads. Very lucky,no changing the sight. Have you considered a peep sight? XS and Skinner make good ones,all steel and rugged. Rimrock makes a great bullet,and their service is fast and friendly. Looks like a good Remlin,please post the shooting results. I don't want the Marlin name or rifle design to die,maybe those NY guys will get it right.

Rob

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info, Rob. That is just what I was looking for! I am considering other sighting options as they are very fuzzy!...might scope it for load work up and go from there I am good with unique (3#)..guess
I need to save the 231 for the 45. A dealer told me he hasn't seen any pistol PV in 6 mo!!

Art

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
Thanks for the info, Rob. That is just what I was looking for! I am considering other sighting options as they are very fuzzy!...might scope it for load work up and go from there I am good with unique (3#)..guess
I need to save the 231 for the 45. A dealer told me he hasn't seen any pistol PV in 6 mo!!

Art
Pistol powders are about as scarce as "pixy dust" here in middle Georgia too! :dontknow:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No, I slugged the 44..the 375 I need to deal with later. I might have to just put everything on hold for awhile until supplies get better if they ever do! There seems to be no end to this current mess. I sort of switched my emphasis to centerfire with the 22 LR shortage, but now find getting components just about as bad. I won't stop shooting as I have other things I can reload for. I do see fewer shooters at the club I go to. There has been some discussion about 22 matches and if they would continue, but so far we have adequate numbers of shooters.

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
If you want to cast your own they make 434 molds..... and its a lot of fun to do.

Doc

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.