Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Contributing Member
11,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well boys, I shall finally have the stubby Marlin I have so long wanted!

A couple weeks ago I came across a a 1965 Marlin/Glenfield 36G at one of my favorite pushers. I passed at the time but on a whim I wandered back in today to find it was still there. Well, we came to a mutually agreeable term and the rifle became mine.

I believe the stocks are birch, some one along the line has refinished them. They are in good shape but not a nice refinish. There's a little light surface "damage" in spots but nothing to get worked up over. The action is smooth but the previous owner was obviously a fan of grease! It doesn't look to have been fired or even carried that much.

I didn't even cycle a dummy round through it let alone shoot it or take pictures though. Nope, I drove straight from the candy store to the bakery. ;D Before I talked myself out of it for one of the million reasons I likely would have came up with, I dropped it off immediately at the gunsmith. It's getting lopped back to 16.5".

It'll be two or three weeks before he'll get to it. When I get her back I'll crack her open and clean out all that grease and smooth it to my satisfaction. It'll wear a Williams FP and I may put a Skinner blade on it. The stocks will get refinished, I'm not sure which way I am going to go there yet. We'll see... :)

Sorry, no pics right now cuz like I said, it hasn't even made it through my front ddoor yet. But I'll be sure to take some when I get it back and likely after I do the stocks.

But I am excited. :D

·
Registered
717 Posts
this'll be great. I am looking for a 336 pre safety 30-30 right now and want to set it up the same way. I'll learn a lot watching and hearing about yours coming together......Mike

·
Premium Member
809 Posts
Look'n forward to seeing it......

·
Premium Member
13,209 Posts
Nice find Erik and congrats on your purchase!!!Can't wait to see the pics when you get her back I always enjoy reading about your projects!!!!

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
I think you will be missing something by not going thru the frustration of
doing the entire make over yourself.

Anyone can take a project to a smith to have it done, but what's the satisfaction
in that?

I know you are handy and knowledgable. Give it a try!

·
Registered
9,156 Posts
Looking forward to following this Eric. If I don't find a Glenfield 30 to get sent to JES, bored to 38-55 and shortened, my 336 XLR is in serious trouble! You always have interesting and very informative posts, really enjoy following your projects. DP

·
Premium Member
1,698 Posts
I always enjoy reading about your projects. Please keep us posted on the results, Lonnie.

·
Contributing Member
11,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the kind words on past projects fellas. :)

trapper-xx said:
I think you will be missing something by not going thru the frustration of
doing the entire make over yourself.

Anyone can take a project to a smith to have it done, but what's the satisfaction
in that?

I know you are handy and knowledgable. Give it a try!
Trapper,

I do as much of my own work as I possibly can. I could do the cut/crown/dovetail but lacking the proper tools it would be a lot more challenging and with a touch of risk as well. The smith is going to do it for $75 so that is well worth it to me.

I'll do all the internal work and stock refinishing myself though.

·
Super Moderator
15,950 Posts
Looking forward to seeing that one Erik, which variation of the 30 is it? 1st with no checkering and perch belly forearm or 2nd slimmed and pressed checking. Mr fixit

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Erik, finally getting to scratch that ''stubby'' itch I see, congrats to you and looking forward to the step by step you always do on your projects. We all enjoy the technical descriptions you do so well and the pictures that go along with them. Keep us in the loop, take care, John.

·
Contributing Member
11,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
mr fixit said:
Looking forward to seeing that one Erik, which variation of the 30 is it? 1st with no checkering and perch belly forearm or 2nd slimmed and pressed checking. Mr fixit
There's no checkering/patterns but the forearm isn't the swollen belly kind. As I said, the stocks (under the poor staining job) look like they might be birch so perhaps someone replaced them along the way (?).

·
Registered
9,156 Posts
I found a Glenfield 30 like you described with out the pressed checkering and slim forearm. It also has rust on every piece of metal and about 40% of the finish gone, won't take less than 275 for it. Keeps telling me how rare and collectable it is, the wood doesn't bother me but the metal feels rough from the rust. I just feel it is beyond my ability to fix, with out the proper tools and with my ability to really screw things up. :-[ DP

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
My Glenfield 30 is just too good to mess with, besides I already have a 336C cut to 16.5" and a 336Y.

I'm "stubby" poor.

·
Contributing Member
11,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
dpe.ahoy said:
I found a Glenfield 30 like you described with out the pressed checkering and slim forearm. It also has rust on every piece of metal and about 40% of the finish gone, won't take less than 275 for it. Keeps telling me how rare and collectable it is, the wood doesn't bother me but the metal feels rough from the rust. I just feel it is beyond my ability to fix, with out the proper tools and with my ability to really screw things up. :-[ DP
I think that is too much for what you describe. The one I picked up is a 36G and much rarer (not that I find that much of a consideration here) and sounds to be in much better shape and I got it for less than you would pay for that one.

·
Premium Member
7,693 Posts
I like shortys! Be prepared to have A new favorite.
Looking forward to pics.

·
Contributing Member
11,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Gaterskiner said:
I like shortys! Be prepared to have A new favorite.
Looking forward to pics.
I'm excited. ;D I've wanted a stubby 30-30 for a looooong time but I wanted the short mag tube as well so I've just been waiting for the right rifle.

When I took it into the smith, I told the counter guy it was a 20" barrel and he looked at me suspiciously for a second and grabbed a tape and confirmed it. He said, "it just felt so short already..." I replied that was the short mag tube. :)

Now if it functions and shoots as well as I hope it will, it should be a lot of fun.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts