Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A local shop had this old warrior in the rack for $279. I weaseled 'em down some and brought it home.

Its a nice solid gun. 30" barrels, which are probably choked Full and Fuller.

Plenty of blue wear. I'll probably just cold blue it. I understand it doesn't take hot blue well due to an iron receiver and some soft soldering.

A friend is sending me a bead:

Double triggers are kind of cool on an over/under:

Nothing fancy here:

Still has the Marlin bullseye:

No rib, but some snazzy wavy lines:

I figure for the half the price of the cheapest import, this old American blaster will have a good home with me.

·
Super Moderator
5,162 Posts
Very nice shotgun.
Now myself, I would leave that classic just as she is.All that bluing wear is what I like to call the "seasoned " look.Great buy at the price you paid.here is one of my oldies from 1924.It's the first savage pump shotgun ever produced,and rivals the quality of the Winchester 12.All machined steel and seasoned just the way I like em. DSCF2907.JPG DSCF2908.JPG

Reactions: Holliday

·
Registered
20,502 Posts
Nice find!:tee:

·
Registered
968 Posts
A nice shotgun!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Very nice, I have an old 90 also, not as solid as yours though. A bead and she is ready to go. How old is the old gal?
I think for its features (uncheckered stock, no gap between the barrels, no letter prefix in serial number) that it dates from 1937-1941.

I shot it today - all I had on hand was some 00 buck. It shot those with authority - no doubling, no misfires.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Great price for a nice 12 ga. Model 90. According to Brophy in his book on Marlin Firearms, Model 90's with 30" barrels were typically choked Mod/Full.

Those Model 90's can grow on you. Don't be surprised if you can't resist looking for a 16 ga. Model 90, then a 20 ga. Model 90, etc., etc!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a minty 1957 Model 90ST (single trigger) Deluxe in 12ga. It's my favorite shotgun. It doesn't get the duty my 870 does, but its purely out of respect. Best pointing shotgun I have ever shouldered. I wish I had one that looked like yours. It would get extra time in the field. Congrats and you got it at a great price!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts