Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stopped by a LGS and noticed a nice 336 30-30 on the rack. Inspection revealed it to be a 1974 model, 26xxxxxx (the year I graduated from HS), and almost identical to what was my first ever centerfire rifle. Condition of the rifle is what I would call 95%, or very close, in my unprofessional opinion. Bore looks great, bluing near excellent, with slight wear on the underside of the barrel band. Nice walnut with minimal dents or scratches, one mark that looks like a spot of paint, hopefully it will buff out. Had a cheap Bushnell 3-9 scope, see through rings which I hate, hammer spur, and sling swivels, but oddly no sling. Nice camo soft rifle case. They were asking $400, I offered $350 and next thing you know I'm filling out paperwork. May not have been a 'steal', but a pretty good 'deal', would you say?

Attachments

·
Registered
21,196 Posts
Nice find! :listen: A good place for those see through rings, is right in the trash can! :biggrin:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nice find! :listen: A good place for those see through rings, is right in the trash can! :biggrin:
Agreed. Funny, that is what I put on my first 336 so many years ago. Didn't know any better at the time, and that's what a guy at the gunshop recommended at the time. Cheap Bushnell scope too as that was all I could afford then.

·
Registered
856 Posts
I believe “steal” is a good description! Did the police follow you home?? Congrats! And for what it’s worth, I’m a ‘74 HS grad as well. It was a very good year!!

·
Registered
856 Posts
BTW, for someone who joined the Forum in 2015, and with only 23 posts, it’s obvious that you need to spend much more time on here. I question your dedication!! Haha!i

·
Premium Member
4,939 Posts
Well worth the price paid! Congratulations!

I hunted with see through rings on my Marlin 30AS for 15 -20 years before I heard you weren't supposed to use them. :hmmmm::dontknow:

I actually needed them the time I dropped that rifle from about 16' up in a tree. Scope got knocked outta whack and I didn't have anything with me to remove it with. I finished the day out still hunting, and came across the biggest doe I've ever seen in my life (before or after). Forgetting I'd dropped my rifle in the excitement, I put the crosshairs behind the front shoulder (at maybe 60 yards) and promptly shot her in the back leg. She dropped, and I had a moment of recollection as I was chambering another round (DA! you dropped your rifle! :damnmate:) The see through mounts allowed me to put her down with one behind the ear.

They are not worthless, just awkward to get a good cheek rest when looking through the scope. But I did eventually stop using them. :biggrin:

Reactions: Ret_Eng

·
Registered
849 Posts
check out that bushnell; if it has "made in japan" on it somebody will probably take it off yer hands. if it sez "made in china", pitch it in the trash. the jap optics back when that rifle was new were pretty good, compared with what's out there now. chinese optics suck! good find, anyway!
mind yer topknot!
windy

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.