Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all...

I need some tips for “high water” bluegill/panfish fishing. My regular strategies just don’t seem to work when the water is up....

Our local rivers are dam-controlled upstream.... And this can mean huge river level fluctuations. I don’t intend to fish when it’s at flood stage 20’ over normal... I would appreciate some tips for dealing with panfish in rivers when the water is up.

·
Premium Member
5,357 Posts
Slack current areas around the flooded timber. The edges of newly flooded grass should also hold gills. It's my experience they like these areas due to new food sources like insects.
I was told by a fisherman I met down south that hanging a road kill from a branch over the water and fishing the area under the tree, a few days later, is productive for panfish. If you can handle the stench.
Andrew

·
Premium Member
4,939 Posts
Slack current areas around the flooded timber. The edges of newly flooded grass should also hold gills. It's my experience they like these areas due to new food sources like insects.
I was told by a fisherman I met down south that hanging a road kill from a branch over the water and fishing the area under the tree, a few days later, is productive for panfish. If you can handle the stench.
Andrew
That's pretty creative,...... gross, but creative. I can just see the fish huddled up underneath it, waiting for another maggot to fall in. :puke: 'scuse me, think I made myself a little nauseous, thinking too hard. :vroam:

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
Very small Mepps spinner with a worm on the treble. I was using this rig on ultra light a long time ago with waders. Water really cloudy. Catching all kinds of pan fish. I was pulling it in and just the second it came into view I saw a huge set of teeth with yellow eyes. It was a Northern pike. When you are fishing for pan fish, anything can hit. That fellow was not a hammer handle, he went just short of a yard.

·
Registered
14,566 Posts
I use a 1/32 jig head with a 1" twister tail. In the spring when water is backed up into willows we use white or pearl. If Crappie is the
target we go to 1/16 jig and 2" tail. We don't use bobbers in this situation, it's hard enough to stay off snags with just a jig.

There are 2 old local guys who specialize in bluegill. They go almost everyday, mostly in ponds and lakes local. They do the carcass
deal and it works. They also carry a gun with them and would shoot groundhogs along the road, stash them buy a road sign and
would stop to get bait off the carcasses on way to fish. They also raised meal worms for bluegills. 9" was the minimum size they kept
and they caught lots of them. They used small jigs too, with maggot or meal worm.

·
Registered
14,566 Posts
Was floating a creek in a Jon boat fishing for Musky in early September. We had a 410 with us and buddy decided to blast a hornet
nest. When it hit the water the top was boiling with Bluegill and Rockbass for five minutes. Couldn't take advantage of the situation
we only had Musky tackle. It's hard to catch Bluegill on 5/0 & bigger hooks on plugs that are 9" long.

·
Registered
215 Posts
The road kill thing reminds me of an article about 'splat' fishing for catfish. Find a cormorant roosting place and toss a bait where the birds' droppings go 'splat' when they hit the water. The cormorants are said to have terribly inefficient digestive systems and all the semi-digested fish are more than old whiskers can resist. Makes the old joke about the difference between a lawyer and a catfish take on a whole new meaning

·
Registered
14,566 Posts
We use to take panty hose and put dried dog food and a couple rocks in them. Drop them in a good catfish hole the night before we
were going to fish. The dog food would turn to mush and current would spread the "chum" bring in minnows. In turn would bring in
the catfish. It worked good for catching eating size channel cats but attracted bull heads & carp too. When I was a teenager always
liked the hunt for panty hose the night before, more than cat fishing.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Andrew
It’ll also let you know if there are unknown gators around...roadkill will be gone and a weird looking “log” will be floating nearby.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.