Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all, i'm in quite a conundrum at the moment, my tax return is here and the wife has given me the go ahead to get my scope. now i have it narrowed down to my 2 choices either the Redfield 4x12 (4plex reticle) or the nikon pro-staff 4x12 (mil-dot). i have a XS7 .308 and was planning on using the supplied one-piece base...unless you have better suggestions. now i have stopped at my local sporting goods store and looked at both scopes in 3x9 thats all they had. but i notice the redfield is a touch shorter and lighter than the nikon, but the redfield also has a wider FOV at 12 power...by about 2 feet. let me explain what i plan on doing with my rifle...mostly i plan on hunting, but when i'm not hunting i like shooting. i'm no benchrest shooter, but have had lots of experience with mil-dot scopes and know how to use them. so that isn't an issue. i just want to hear your suggestions and help with my set-up so the bolt handle won't mar my new scope. also, midway has the redfield for $209 and the prostaff for $165.... thanks in advance

·
Banned
1,157 Posts
Redfield all the way...even for the extra $40, it's worth it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Nikon has a new line of Prostaffs out this year that I haven't even seen on the shelves yet, so you should be able to get the Prostaff on closeout if it's a last years model.

As far as mounting goes, the factory one-piece seems to do o.k. although I've read here of a few guys having issues with the mounting screws busting off, so be sure to use a torque wrench.

If I had it to do over again, I'd probably pick up a DNZ all one piece base/rings. They look great and remove one source of scope movement.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Your brand choice is fine. I don't think you can go wrong with either. Don't dismiss the Bushnell Elite series however. Apparently Bushnell is discontinuing the current line of Elites. You can find a great deal on them. The Elite 4200 is a very, very nice scope. The 3200 is also very nice. Both of these scopes have rainguard which eliminates fog and raindrops on the lenses. I just picked up a 3-9 3200 for $105. I've heard the 4200's are going for $199. But like I said the Nikons or Redfields are also very nice. Are you sure you need all the magnification of a 4-12? If you're strictly out west I can see it. But if you hunt in the woods I'd say you would be better served by a 2.5-10, 3-9 or even a 2-7 if you're always in the woods. I know the only time I'm off my lowest setting is when I'm at the range.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I'd go with the Nikon and the mil dot reticle for distance shooting. Both are very good optically, both have rock solid warranties. The clicks are more positive on the Nikon. Redfield is assembled from Asian parts in the USA while the Prostaff is either made in Japan or China.

Check which has more built in MOA adjustment. You might want to shoot 600-1000 yards with the .308 and would need lots of adjustment.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Have you checked out Nachez? They have Pro-Staff reconditioned 4-12x40 with the BDC for $129 or the3-9x40BDC for $104. The Sportmans Guide also has the Prostaff 3-9x40 4-plex new for $116.

They might be worth checking out. ;)

·
Registered
200 Posts

·
Registered
9,665 Posts
Personally, I started to replace all my scopes years ago and have been getting Leupold only with the exception of Shepherd scopes when I can afford them. ;D

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks for all the answers.....i'm still not sure which one though...probablly the nikon because i like shooting at the range when i'm not hunting. as far leupold goes....i have alot of experiance with their military grade optics and haven't been very impressed....they are ok, but i think you end up paying more because it says leupold on the side of it. and all the super cool tactical dudes buy them, because it's tacticool. with my personnal experiance, my money would be better spent on something other than a leupold....just my opinion though. the redfield is looking nice though.....

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well, i bit the bullet...i walked into my local sporting goods store yesterday to get another look at the 2 scopes ( nikon and redfield) ....i was talking to the manager about how i wasn't sure which one i wanted....and he said since he didn't have any 4x12s available, he'd knock $20 off the price...so i got a redfield 3x9x40 for $119....i think i did alright....i got some quadlock rings and the scope fits like a glove...got a box of 150gr cor-loks and a box of winchester super x 180gr...i wish i could find some 165gr but everybody was out around me....i'm going to the range on monday and i'll take pics. i'll throw some up of my buddy's thompson center venture in .308 too....we're picking that up tomorrow, he's also putting a redfield on it...well thanks for the advice and suggestions....i appreciate all of them. "In Orbe Terrum Non Visi"----"Around the World Unseen"

·
Registered
9,156 Posts
Good price on the Redfield! They just went up $20.00 around here, the 2-7's were 129.99 and 139.99, now 149.99 and 159.99. :( For the price, they are a good optic. DP

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
you guys with your price pointing...i must be broke because the redfeild is on the high end of the expense spectrum in my world. if i were to get what my wallet requires, id end up with bushnell banners and simmons prohunters...they are capable of accuracy but have less clarity and brightness, less feild of view and less eye relief. im used to the old junk so the new redfeilds are impressive to me. i got a nikon too but i like the redfeilds because they are assembled in the U.S.A.

·
Registered
237 Posts
luvalever said:
you guys with your price pointing...i must be broke because the redfeild is on the high end of the expense spectrum in my world.
That's because you have sooo many rifles! (Just pickin on ya buddy.) I have a Tasco 6-24x42mm on my 22 LR for out to 200 yard target work and it was $92. When I look thru my friends Nikon Buckmaster 4.5x14x40mm, $279, it's like holy cow, I can see the target much better with less magnification. I now believe good glass is worth saving for at least for target work.

But for seasonal hunting I get by with my package 3-9 scope on the XL7.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i ended up taking the redfield back....it was a nice scope but i ended up going to cabelas today with my buddy who was looking at the redfield and the nikon 4x12. and wanted to compare hands on....i looked at both...i couldn't see any difference in optical clarity at all....and i got my new nikon prostaff 4x12 for $149.....i went for it and took returned the redfield....i'm taking it out to the range tomorrow we'll see how it goes....i'm gonna take lots of pictures

·
Banned
1,157 Posts
LRSpanther34 said:
i ended up taking the redfield back....it was a nice scope but i ended up going to cabelas today with my buddy who was looking at the redfield and the nikon 4x12. and wanted to compare hands on....i looked at both...i couldn't see any difference in optical clarity at all....and i got my new nikon prostaff 4x12 for $149.....i went for it and took returned the redfield....i'm taking it out to the range tomorrow we'll see how it goes....i'm gonna take lots of pictures
:'(

·
Registered
386 Posts
LRSpanther34 said:
Oh well, some more money for the Chinese and loss of full lifetime replacement. Just saying, not starting a arguement.

·
Registered
9,665 Posts
grout-scout said:
Oh well, some more money for the Chinese and loss of full lifetime replacement. Just saying, not starting a arguement.
All imports should have a double tax for the consumer. ;)

1 - 20 of 37 Posts