Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need help picking a starvation stick (recurve/longbow) as my dad used to call them. I don't know much about them.It needs to be around 40# and under 5 pounds in weight. Any help would be appreciated

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
I used to have a Bear Kodiak recurve bow and it was awesome.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Look on e-bay for some suggestions. Stay with a brand name. Find some you like and google the company. Been shooting bows since I was 6. I have two bows at the present time. One is a Shakesphere which is not made anymore and a Damon Howett which still is being manufactured.

·
Registered
805 Posts
It's hard to beat anything that Bear, Browning, Martin or Pearson made. I have a number of all of these brands. As long as the grip feel good and the price is right then go for it. How the bow feels to you is far more important than price or brand name. The performance difference from one modern recurve or longbow for hunting use is pretty negligible. As long as the bow is sound and you get your arrows tuned well to the bow, they can all be good shooters.

There are also a large number of very good brands that I didn't mention above but the prices good up from there. Actually one of the best shooting bows that I have for the money is a Samick Sage ($139 brand new). It will stick a deer as well as any of them and can use the latest fastflight string materials to pick up a little speed.

Keith

·
Premium Member
3,049 Posts
All good advice. Aint no reason it should be ah starvation stick though. The critters don't know if the arra came from some old stick or a Mathews Monster. All they knows is their stuck. Ha!!!

Reactions: Bronco Archer

·
Super Moderator
7,945 Posts
If the bow don't pick you, you will never be happy with it! Go out and shoot every bow you can, most archery shops will let you do this, if your serious about buying a bow, go to fun shoots, try other peoples bows, do what ever you need to do to get bows in your hands, one day you will know when it finds you!

Reactions: Bronco Archer

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
I found all 5 of my bows at the same estate sale (i posted about it here awhile back) but there are 2 i prefer to shoot. A ben Pearson green fiberglass takedown @50 lbs and a one off custom made all metal recurve at 46lbs. I got lucky in finding them. Since then ive learned a little more about what i like since a friend of mine owns an archery shop. He happens to have a local resident who took up bow making as a hobby and started carrying his product. When i run out of things to spend my money on then i might be able to afford the custom made price of one of those bows. He even made a youth designed recurve @27 lbs that weighed about 18oz, rediculously lightweight and it could handle me plucking its string.
if you can find a standalone bow shop thats not affiliated with any major name store I'd spend alot of time in there.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Good suggestions above, and the Samick bows are very affordable in price for a decent, no frills bow. I have an ancient Bear 50# recurve that still shoots OK, but my favorite "stick" bow is now my Martin Savannah. I highly recommend that you find an archery shop where you can see and handle as many bows as you can with help from sales staff that knows what they are doing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts