Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I emailed Remington asking when my XL7 in .30-06 was made, and guess what? According to them it was made in July 2008.

In case anyone's wondering, here's my serial number: XL706328. I'm still trying to figure it out--maybe the last digit indicates year of manufacture? Maybe mine was the 6,328th XL7 made? I dunno, any thoughts?

BTW, as usual my experience with Remington's CS went without a hitch. Oh yeah, and if it was made in '08 then that explains the rust that came with it...

·
Premium Member
8,170 Posts
MarlinXL7 said:
I emailed Remington asking when my XL7 in .30-06 was made, and guess what? According to them it was made in July 2008.

In case anyone's wondering, here's my serial number: XL706328. I'm still trying to figure it out--maybe the last digit indicates year of manufacture? Maybe mine was the 6,328th XL7 made? I dunno, any thoughts?

BTW, as usual my experience with Remington's CS went without a hitch. Oh yeah, and if it was made in '08 then that explains the rust that came with it...
SHHHHHUSH. If Remington finds out yours came with rust, and they didn't charge you extra to start with, they will likely jack the prices up on everyone else to make up the difference.

·
Banned
373 Posts
Xl starting serial #'s were as follows XL700500,starting in 2008, so you got a very early made XL, I have an 270 serial# XL705xxx, bought in july of 2008.

In January of 2009 they then changed to the 917xxx serial numbers.

After reading all the negative press lately about quality control, consider yourself lucky.

·
Banned
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks karatoula.

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Im confused, My XL7 serial # starts XL7198... Does this mean mine was built in '08 or '09? Thanks for any insight.

·
Banned
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
mt_sourdough said:
Im confused, My XL7 serial # starts XL7198... Does this mean mine was built in '08 or '09? Thanks for any insight.
I don't know for sure, but it was probably made in '08 as it was one of the first 19,400 made.

·
Banned
373 Posts
Yours was built in 08, one of the later ones built in 08, just count, yours is at the 19000 mark, so you could figure marlin made a little over 19000 rifles by the time you bought yours, pretty simple really.

Just think of it this way, remove the XL7 from the serial number, and you have the number of how many were built, then in 09 they replaced the XL7 with 917, easy peasy.

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
My XL7 was purchased in June of '09 so I thought it was probably an '09 production, but if it is an '08, than I am happy with that. My 39A has the 91.... number, so it is an '09 model.

·
Banned
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
karatoula said:
One more piece of info, the reason they started at XL700500 was that the first 500 were promised to special individuals.
Are you sure about that? Now that I think of it, I thought that I read in an article when the XL7 just came out that the serial # started at 500 in case Marlin ever wanted to do a limited edition model. I wish I was sure, though.

·
Banned
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
karatoula said:
Yours was built in 08, one of the later ones built in 08, just count, yours is at the 19000 mark, so you could figure marlin made a little over 19000 rifles by the time you bought yours, pretty simple really.

Just think of it this way, remove the XL7 from the serial number, and you have the number of how many were built, then in 09 the relaced the XL7 with 917, easy peasy.
Now I get it. I really wish this forum had a head-slap emoticon... ::)

·
Registered
25,054 Posts
MarlinXL7 said:
Now I get it. I really wish this forum had a head-slap emoticon... ::)
I would have it worn out. ;D

·
Registered
981 Posts
My '06 is a XL7 serial Number, and my 284, and 308 carbine "X" guns are 917 serial numbers. Seeing that I just bought the gun that became the 284 this past year, it proves there are guns in distributor's warehouses that are NOT remington or pis ed off Marlin employee guns.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
dmsbandit said:
My '06 is a XL7 serial Number, and my 284, and 308 carbine "X" guns are 917 serial numbers. Seeing that I just bought the gun that became the 284 this past year, it proves there are guns in distributor's warehouses that are NOT remington or pis ed off Marlin employee guns.
good thing for that.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts