Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Or just not finding the info I want ....... How do I know what model .444 have ..... marlin .444.jpg

·
Premium Member
4,983 Posts
Sharkey, need a pic of the whole rifle and then look at the barrel on the left hand side near the receiver, it should say 444marlin S or SS or something like that. Also, what is the first 2 digits of your serial #? You subtract them from 100 and it gives you the year it was manufactured...but only for rifles built after 1972 (as I recall).

·
Super Moderator
7,957 Posts
444ss.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Read the barrel and it will give you the model and caliber. It will say "Model 444 (444S, 444SS, 444XLR) 444 Caliber"

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Id say Late 90s SS. Thats a beauty. ALL 444s are JM. Remington hasnt made any as of yet. Have fun with that one. Mine is insainly accurate with the Remington 240g JSP.

Hayden.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
It has a cross-bolt safety, and doesn't look like a Remlin. So, it's going to be an SS, built some time between 1984 and 2002. 1984 through July(?) 1998 will be a Micro-Groove barrel. August(?) 1998 through 2002 will be a ballard rifled barrel.

Id say Late 90s SS. Thats a beauty. ALL 444s are JM. Remington hasnt made any as of yet.
That's a negative.
All of the receivers used for 444s were finished before the move to Ilion, but Remington did assemble enough to get noticed. And, many of those 'finished' by Remington did end up with REP barrels.

I happen to have one of the REP 444 barrels. The quality of machining is so poor, that it's an insult to the entire 336 family of firearms.

Reactions: Sharkey and gewehr

·
Registered
11,600 Posts
Any brain cramps I have anymore are now called "senior moments"... :biggrin:

Reactions: Sharkey

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
***** Marlin Caliber .444 Model 444 ***** is what's on the barrel

first two digits are 91 ..... It is a JM .......

The stock does fit perfectly

I am leaning towards the PC ....... I shoot better with the .444 now than I do with a cue ......

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
I forgot to mention the possibility of it being a post-2002 "444" in my first post, came back here to fix it, and you're rubbing it in my face.... :biggrin:

That'll be a 2009 - ballard-rifled.

Reactions: Sharkey

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
It has a cross-bolt safety, and doesn't look like a Remlin. So, it's going to be an SS, built some time between 1984 and 2002. 1984 through July(?) 1998 will be a Micro-Groove barrel. August(?) 1998 through 2002 will be a ballard rifled barrel.

That's a negative.
All of the receivers used for 444s were finished before the move to Ilion, but Remington did assemble enough to get noticed. And, many of those 'finished' by Remington did end up with REP barrels.

I happen to have one of the REP 444 barrels. The quality of machining is so poor, that it's an insult to the entire 336 family of firearms.
Sweet! Thanks for that. I didnt know any REP barrels made it to the 444. I copied that and put it in my files.

NOW......

From 1998 to 2002 did the 444 come in any other flavor other than the Ported Outfitter?

Hayden.

·
Super Moderator
7,957 Posts
444ss.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I forgot to mention the possibility of it being a post-2002 "444" in my first post, came back here to fix it, and you're rubbing it in my face.... :biggrin:

That'll be a 2009 - ballard-rifled.
Was not tring to rub it in you face ....:biggrin: thanks for the info

I always like Super Sports .......

Thanks again guys

1 - 15 of 15 Posts