Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i got this old big doe this morning on one of my favorite spots. an old back road by a thick cutdown. she ran in the cutdown in a maze! no blood at all. i kept doing circles till i finally stumbled on her at about 70yds in. i shot her with my 1958 Husqvarna 7mm Mauser. it has a vintage German Pecar 3.5x10 scope. i was using a vintage 115gr. Speer HP i have about 10 boxes of them. they are discontinued now, but my rifle is a tack driver with them. and a full charger of RL 15
Botany Branch Twig Wood Grass

·
Registered
5,433 Posts
Neat rifle, nice deer. Congratulations. 7x57 is one of my favorite calibers.

I haven't done nearly as much morning hunting now that I am retired. Look at the clock, look at the thermometer and roll back over....I really should hunt early, it is a lot easier to track, drag, skin and gut in the daylight.

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
Congrats! 7mm Mauser is my favorite bolt action caliber.

·
Premium Member
9,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i hear people all the time say, man i never kill anything in the morning! they say how do you do it? i say, first you have to get out of the bed and go! most people will go a couple of times in the morning then give up and say, man you sure don't kill deer in the morning. LOL, i have killed deer in the middle of the day. deer don't just lay down and do nothing all day. they eat, breed, and move all day just like people,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

·
Registered
559 Posts
Nice deer and even nicer rifle. The 7x57 (275 Rigby) is an absolute deer slayer. We use 140's up here in Maine and I have stockpiled a pile of 175 round noses. We call em "Lil" freight trains. Hunting sunrise is my absolute favorite. My hunting buddy and I step into the woods a good half hour before sun up.

·
Registered
5,684 Posts
The last three bucks I shot were in the morning. One at 1100, another at 0715 and my last one at 0810. I have really not had that much success with the bucks at the end of the day.
As 256 said it's a lot easier to do what is needed after the shot in the daylight. I take my time with the field dressing and may take a break while doing it. Take coffee or tea with me and drink a cup before starting. Last year I shot the buck at 0715 field dressed him and went back out to take a look at things. There was a fork horn checking out the same area and I called my daughter and told her to come out and check it out. She came out and saw the deer and stalked it as there were bulldozed berms in the field. She got him, around 1115. Before my brother-in-law died, he found that mid-day hunting was best for bucks also.
Most are so sure that deer only come out before dark that they hunt at that time. My son in law and daughter got their deer this year at 3 pm which is not dark.

DEP

·
Premium Member
9,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i killed these two a couples of weeks ago back-to-back in the morning. my 1960 Husqvarna 30-06 at work on these two,,,,,,,
Terrestrial animal Fawn Tail Snout Horn
Insect Organism Fawn Plant Terrestrial animal

·
Premium Member
9,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
5,684 Posts
I have been using RH bolt actions for a long time but decided I wanted to finish up with a rifle that worked right for me. Went into the LGS and saw a Ruger Predator in LH and asked the price and lacked the resistance not to buy it (It's a 6.5 CM). I then decided to dress it up a bit with a Boyd's stock.
2 out of three of those pictures have snow in them. The one that does not was a warmer season and I saw a lot fewer deer. That buck was it. They have a heavy coat and a layer of fat by Nov and don't like the heat.

DEP

·
Registered
831 Posts
Congratulations on a fine harvest 👍

Mornings are always best where I hunt in Kentucky. I've actually taken 4 nice bucks before sunrise since 2015. One was on day 2 and two on opening day. I can only recall taking one nice buck on an afternoon hunt in the last dozen years.

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
OLSKOOL, congrats on the deer, and very nice 7mm Mauser Husqvarna!

northmn, congrats on the deer, and nice rifles too!

Reactions: OLSKOOL and northmn

·
Premium Member
9,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sweet tag out!
tag out? in my county? LOL we only have transport tags here. and then when you run out of free ones you can buy more. it is all about the money, just like everything the gov. dose. most people here ignore the radicicols tags they came out with a few years ago, they just use the same one over and over,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

1 - 20 of 20 Posts