Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been a year since opening the box of my new guide gun. I'll never forget the thrill. I immediately jumped into handloading having a friend coach me in the learning curve. I've since purchased my own equip and have tried to get this guide gun to shoot the way it should.

After trying a couple of different powders and loads I've settled on a medium power load. Someone here posted an identical load at 1800fps with the Hornady 4502 round nose.

So today I'm shooting out across the field of my new property/home at a distance of 145-150 (need to laser this for sure, just paced it off). I can now hit the kill zone of a whitetail (on paper!) with shots at 50, 100, 150yds. Groups at 100 are 3" and sometimes near 2" with the factory open sights. A year ago I was totally frustrated. This year, totally turned around. I'm confident to 150, no prob....and shooting in the backyard no less. Nothing like having a deer blind with 3 bedrooms and 2 baths.

My favorite fun target is a big flat rock sitting on its side.....wow, the power of these things still amaze me.

So, it's taken a year to do all this and I've learned next time I'll get used to a gun and it's load on seperate occasions :lol:

You guys have been a huge help!

Perferator

·
Registered
5,394 Posts
Hello riflemen: Perferator-I have been shooting my Marlin a little longer than you but you mirror my develpment exactly. I'm a 150 yard shooter trying to get to 200 yards. It's been a long, fun road that the folks here have helped me down. BestLever

1 - 2 of 2 Posts