Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Murphy was just about nine years old and has acted much older over the last year or so.
When I left on vacation nine days ago, he was acting fine and happily ran around with the other dogs.
Last night after I got home, he didn’t even raise his head to me in greeting. I immediately checked him over and felt that his abdomen was distended and fairly rigid.
I took him to the veterinarian and he was diagnosed with hemangiiosarcoma.An X-ray showed that his spleen was taking up a third of his abdominal cavity and that the belly distention was caused by internal bleeding.
Surgery was a possibility, but the chances of surviving for a year afterwards was only 10 percent. The wife and I both agreed it was best to put him at peace.
Murphy was a great dog, but lousy at bird hunting. He will be missed.

·
Premium Member
16,789 Posts
Dang...

Prayer sent for you.....& your Family.

Losing "man's best friend" is always a "downer"....

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
So sorry for the loss of your friend Murphy. Lost my Bernese Mountain dog two years ago, miss him everyday.
When I go out on a clear night with our German Shepherd I always look to the Dog Star Sirius, it’s just to the lower left of the “Archer” Orion’s left foot, faithfully following him through the night sky. It is the brightest star in the sky. Reminds me of all our past friends that blessed our lives.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
I am so sorry to hear about Murphy. Been in those shoes too often. Nothing takes me out like the loss of a
dog. God's work, I think. I always rescue a new guy pretty darn quick. No way a replacement; it is to respect what I know
the recently departed would expect. His home and your love to a new guy. We met a couple just about three hours ago that had a great pit bull that had been rescued from dog fighter in the south of US. He was a great guy, scars all over. Anyway, it is nice to have so many dog or other furry four leggeds in the forum. Here is to Murphy.
Mark

·
Registered
42 Posts
Sorry you lost your friend. Someone who hasn't had dogs might not understand their loyalty, affection and devotion. That they live such short lives is one of the true tragedies of life. My golden, Thumper, is 10 now, she's slowing down a lot. We got Sadie, a rescue border collie pup a year ago. That dog must be nuclear powered!

Of a faithful dog.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Sorry for your loss, I've had to do this also with 2 labs prior and currently have a 12 year old lab aging out on me now.
I've always liked this poem, the last paragraph says it all.

A Dog's Prayer
by Beth Norman Harris

Treat me kindly, my beloved master, for no heart in the world is more grateful
for kindness than mine. Do not break my spirit with a stick, for although I should
lick your hand between the blows, your patience and understanding will teach me
more quickly the things you would have me do.
Speak to me often, for your voice is the world's sweetest music, as you must know
by the fierce wagging of my tail when I hear your step. When the weather is cold
and wet, please take me inside for I am a domesticated animal, no longer used to
bitter elements, and I ask no greater glory than the privilege of sitting at your feet.
Keep my pan filled with fresh water, for although I should not reproach you were
were it dry, I cannot tell you when I suffer thirst. Feed me clean food so that I may
stay well, to romp and play and do your bidding, to walk by your side standing
ready to protect you with my life should your life be in danger.
And master, when I am very old and the Greatest Master sees fit to deprive me
of my health and sight, do not turn me away, rather, see that my trusting life is
gently taken away and I shall leave you knowing with the last breath I draw, my
fate was always safest in your hands.
Amen.

Back to: [ Our Story Corner | Our Doghouse ]

Last modified: 1-1-2000
Nate Sarbin <[email protected]>

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Murphy was just about nine years old and has acted much older over the last year or so.
When I left on vacation nine days ago, he was acting fine and happily ran around with the other dogs.
Last night after I got home, he didn’t even raise his head to me in greeting. I immediately checked him over and felt that his abdomen was distended and fairly rigid.
I took him to the veterinarian and he was diagnosed with hemangiiosarcoma.An X-ray showed that his spleen was taking up a third of his abdominal cavity and that the belly distention was caused by internal bleeding.
Surgery was a possibility, but the chances of surviving for a year afterwards was only 10 percent. The wife and I both agreed it was best to put him at peace.
Murphy was a great dog, but lousy at bird hunting. He will be missed.
View attachment 843112
Condolences I know how you feel, we lost Shadow my huge 9st Curly Coated retriever before Christmas at 71/2 to the same thing. Gareth

1 - 20 of 43 Posts