Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that a 22 and a 22 mag are different but both are marlins and both have microgroove barrels Why will one fire subsonic ammo very accuratly while the other likes the faster HV mag (like Rem Preimers or CCI TNT) stuff I just don't get it .

Seems to me if a rifle is accurate is should group all ammo well. I know from experience that Rifle A will shoot a varity of ammo (ie target or subsonic) excellent HV is good and Hyper vel is fair but Winchester Xpurt is all over the place. Still its only about a 3" group for 25 rounds off a sand bag for this rifle. While rifle B shoots (still 22) most ammo into 3"groups and xpurt looks like a shotgun pattern.

Rifle C.22mag shoots everthing in a 2" group at 100yds some better by 1" but none of it is worse.
This firing is done off a rest seated at a bench mystifies me why some shoots so well and other ammo you might as well throw or sling shot at a target.

Thoughts or Ideas?

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
22 mags are very limited in choice of ammo so far.. most shoot very good like you said.. I have different 22lr's and they are totally different.. one likes hv ammo only, one shoots the sub just a tad better.. its all in the wash I guess..
Micro Groove is still done mass production so when a tool change I would guess tolerances are snug and vice a versa.. I really have no idea.. If you fine one that shoots all ammo well your lucky.. My CZ will shoot all ammo well but not to same point of impact.. so you sightin for what is easy to get, accurate and stay with it..

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
NO! That is a bad idea. 22 in a mag no no . Anyway I was just comparing the observations I made while shooting the various rimfire rifles that I own. All have microgroove rifling but The rifleing stabilizes the 22mag well enough for good groups at 100yds and the ammo is in the 1900 fps catogory. While the 880SQ seems to like the Subsonic ammo better than the faster HV and Hyper ammo. Yet the model 75c glenfield likes HV but not subsonic or Hyper. It's just something to spin around the knoggin trying to figure out. I know this is/has been talked about many times and I will never understand it but it just keeps rolling around in my head and I was asking for other opinions. Maybe it is the magnetic alignment of the particles of steel in the barrel or the lack thereof. I just don't know. gotta go now and rub a magnet on the barrel to see if that makes a difference. :p

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
I like High Vel better..

·
Registered
27 Posts
They generally attribute this to the vibrations in the barrel. A 0.001 inch change in length changes the harmonics or vibrations and affects the bullet as it leaves the barrel.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Like Pa-Joe said it boils down to harmonics in the barrel and how the action and barrel are bedded in the stock and how tight the action screws are torqued down. These variables will drive a person nuts trying to figure them out. Even a change in lot #s of ammo can throw the equation off. The best thing to do is find which ammo your rifle shoots best and stick with it.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Rifles are like women: They like what they like, dislike what they don't like, and no amount of Reason can change it.

There's just no telling. ~Andrew

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
Andrew said:
Rifles are like women: They like what they like, dislike what they don't like, and no amount of Reason can change it.

There's just no telling. ~Andrew
Thats Gospel.. :lol:

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
....All ammo is NOT created equally- and that is where the problem lies.

I've found no way to get cheap ammo to perform consistently in even the most accurate of rifles. The shot to shot consistency just ain't there. This has been proven in chronograph tests over and over again. Cheap ammo always has a very high standard deviation in velocity- it simply is not put together that well.

The WMR and .22 lr are two completely different animals-they are not even the same bullet dia. The lr uses a heeled, or rebated base bullet, while there is no step on the base of a WMR bullet.

I beleive that the WMR is loaded to much tighter tolerances than the Lr, at least in the major manufacturer's regular offerings. Most of the 40 gr fmj WMR shoots very well indeed.

I have had little success with the lightweight hyper velocity offerings in my WMR- it is not a microgroove barrel, not even a Marlin. I think some guns prefer a certain amount of bullet bearing surface area. To use a bullet with shorter or longer driving bands seems to throw a monkey wrench into the works for some rifles...

Just a few random thoughts.......

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the thoughts just wanted to stimulate the conversation been kinda quite lately.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts