Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't believe I'm toying with the idea of trading my 1980 made 1895 for a .444 Marlin! I know, overall, the 45-70 will do everything the .444 will and then some but since getting the bolt action Mauser chambered in .444 back in December, I'm itching for a lever gun. The Mauser is nice but the 1 in 38 twist barrel really hampers what loads I can accurately shoot in it. This Marlin thing is insane! Do I need my head examined? :hmmmm:

·
Registered
7,004 Posts
Tom! I knew darned well that this was going to happen!:biggrin: Once you get the 444 bug, no other big bore lever gun makes sense any more! 444 shooters seem to be much more the experimenters....and the 444 cartridge really lends itself to experimentation, improvement. Over the years, we have seen heavy bullets and light bullets developed for the 444, and, penetration, velocity, and power records set with the 444 that no other OEM big bore can obtain in a Marlin lever gun........you seem to have the experimenter mind set as witnessed by your work with the 444 bolt gun, so I say have at it...join the "small" crowd that rides the small bus:flute:, and have a blast...you will fit right in!!!!!

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Tom...As good as you shoot I guarantee you could find a load for the 444 marlin lever that would shoot great groups. Might know a ******* down in Florida that could send you some more cast bullets.

·
Super Moderator
7,958 Posts
Nothing at all wrong with the 1-38 twist, matter of fact, I prefer it to the screaming yuppie I get my way 1-20 twist, you just have to find the right powder, which any 444 Handloaders worth a darn knows is Rocket Fuel for the 444, yep Reloader# 7, find some of that approach top loads and watch just how the Accuracy pieces fall together :)

·
Banned
1,761 Posts
Nothing at all wrong with the 1-38 twist, matter of fact, I prefer it to the screaming yuppie I get my way 1-20 twist, you just have to find the right powder, which any 444 Handloaders worth a darn knows is Rocket Fuel for the 444, yep Reloader# 7, find some of that approach top loads and watch just how the Accuracy pieces fall together :)
I was waiting for Starrbow to see thisthread!

Heh.

Brocky

Reactions: dpe.ahoy

·
Registered
133 Posts
Yep your crazy, :vollkommenauf:

I will give your 1895 a good home for you.....:flute:

I will even sell it back to you, when you come to your senses....:biggrin::biggrin:

Either way, you can't go wrong.

·
Registered
839 Posts

I will even sell it back to you, when you come to your senses....:biggrin::biggrin:

If it wasn't for your avatar pic I'd swear you are certifiably nutters! But seeing as nobody with a Vizsla can be nuts, I'm trying to figure how better to frame this response. :biggrin:

444s have a pull on people. It started when I saw a guy shoot a squirrel out of a tree with one, man it was magical.

Reactions: Rory McCanuck

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That's a problem........around here, Reloader 7 is currently made from "unobtainium". I haven't seen it on the shelves in at least a year.

Reactions: galaxieman

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)

Now I just have to FIND a 444. One was for sale last fall in a local pawn shop but was going for $750 which was too rich for me living on a "peanut butter and jelly" retired income. Finding uranium in middle Georgia would be easier than finding a .444 lever gun. I'm not interested in the short barreled ported ones but even those are more scarce than an honest politician.

Reactions: galaxieman

·
Premium Member
1,698 Posts
I've owned 1 45-70 but owned 3 444's. They both do the same thing, it's just the 444 is more efficent doing it while in a unique caliber. 'Nuff said :biggrin:.

Reactions: dpe.ahoy and GaCop

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've owned 1 45-70 but owned 3 444's. They both do the same thing, it's just the 444 is more efficent doing it while in a unique caliber. 'Nuff said :biggrin:.
No argument from me, I'm fascinated by the caliber! :top:

·
Registered
133 Posts
And I am being tongue in cheek. I wish you the best with your 444 pursuit. Nothing to make the mind and heart kick it up a pace than a new coveted treasure, and getting it to perform like it should... :biggrin:

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
And I am being tongue in cheek. I wish you the best with your 444 pursuit. Nothing to make the mind and heart kick it up a pace than a new coveted treasure, and getting it to perform like it should... :biggrin:
Oh sooooooo true! :top:

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I've done a search of gun and pawn shops within 25 miles of home and no one has any .444's......:(. I hesitate in selling my 45-70 unless I can fine a .444. I must be patient..................NOT! :biggrin:

·
Super Moderator
7,958 Posts
I'll keep my eyes open for you!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts