Marlin Firearms Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Thanks Drm50
You are loading under recommended minimum too I see. Hodgdon recommends 58 grains of 3031 as a start. I am very fond of 3031 and use a minimum charge in my son's 125 grain 30/30 load. I'm like you, if dumping 4 more grains of powder only gives me 100-125 fps but it doesn't shoot as well I won't even consider it. Thank you,

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Oh and for everyone making fun of my delicate approach to the rain.....it is the mud I have to fight getting to where I shoot. That and I get grumpy when my feet gets wet. :biggrin::tomato:

·
Registered
13,426 Posts
Thanks Drm50
You are loading under recommend image.jpeg ed minimum too I see. Hodgdon recommends 58 grains of 3031 as a start. I am very fond of 3031 and use a minimum charge in my son's 125 grain 30/30 load. I'm like you, if dumping 4 more grains of powder only gives me 100-125 fps but it doesn't shoot as well I won't even consider it. Thank you,
Actually used that load for near 40 yrs. Never changed be cause it was accurate. The starting load for IMR -3031 is 43.1gr in the old Hornady manual. I have manuals up the butt and you have to watch yourself. Besides different pressure levels for different rifles the manuals differ a good bit. I bought the One Book/ One Caliber book for 45/70 and there is difference between the bullet companies and powder makers on data. With rifle powder chances of blowing a gun is pretty slim. When you get into shotgun and pistol powder you can blow the arse clear out of one.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts