Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Father purchased a previously owned Traditions 50 cal. Springfield Hawkens BP about 8 years ago. He gave it to my wife because she likes old guns. I never really paid much attention to this gun. I thought it was a cheap kit gun. Today I was looking at it and noticed for the first time that it has a left hand mechcanism. I looked it over and noticed that the wood actually appears to be walnut and not hard wood. It also has nice figuring to the wood. This gun has a brass fore cap, brass semi-crescent butt plate, brass extended trigger guard and brass oval sliders on the wooden ram rod. This gun does not have the brass patch lock in the butt stock. The Hammer and sidelock are case colored. All in all it appears as new and never fired. The barrel has the following numbers stamped on the barrel 14-18-052995-95. Also the barrel is a 28 inch octagon with a brass front sight and drift adjustable rear sight. Rate of twist is stamped on the barrel as 1 and 66. It also is stamped made in Spain. I assume this one was imported by Traditions Deep River, CT, USA.

With this description can anyone tell me if this is gun has any potential. Not very knowledgeable with precussion guns. If we decide to shoot it what size ball and type of powder and grains should we use in it. What would be recommended as a starting load and a safe max. load. What size caps do I need. I read something like # 11 caps and 70 grains of BP. I'm not sure of ball size except 50 cal. If it shoots good we may deer hunt with it. I wish my wife's camera would hold a charge so I could post a picture. What do you think its worth in 99 percent shape.

·
Premium Member
1,332 Posts
Gabby-Most of the Spanish made( CVA-Traditions ) rifles will shoot a 490 dia round ball with a 10 to 15 thousand patch. I like pillow ticking because of the tight weave. 70 grains of powder is a very good starting point. The 1 in 66 twist is very good for round ball shooting. It should make you a fine rifle. Remember to not leave any air space between your ball and the powder. 2ff is what most of the books will tell you to use in the 50 cal. I have used 2ff and 3fff granulation if you can't find the other.

·
Premium Member
9,038 Posts
70 grains should be fine. You may want to start out at say, 50-55 grains first. get it sighted in and then work your powder load up until accuracy falls off. Then, back it down 5-10 grains and you'll have it dialed in for hunting. If you just want to plink /punch paper, there's no real need to shoot heavy hunting loads (saves on powder).

Do not use petro chemicals for cleaning, hot soapy water works the best, and olive oil (sweet oil) for preserving the metal. There are BO solvents made for cleaning and most of them work fine. Cabela's has a citrus based cleaner that I use on my revolvers and I like that okay. #11 caps are the one's you want for the repro rifles. Have fun!

·
Premium Member
9,038 Posts
OH! Use a volumetric powder measure to dispense the loads with.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Pat/Rick, thanks for the reply. What brand of black powder do you recommend , I can't remember. I still have some stuff left over but need new powder and ball size. I got a CVA inline a few years back but sold it when I was in a jam. I believe the rate of twist on this one is to slow for using power belt bullets that my inline loved. If I can convince my wife I would love for us to shoot it some and actually hunt with it. I think what I'm trying to say about the powder is do I use 2ff or 3ff for a rifle. Its been over 20 years since I have used BP and not Pyrodex. I used BP only in a 36 cal. pistol I once owned.

·
El Kabong
8,333 Posts
Hawkin shoppe was in Saint Lewie, then might have gotten offended if ya called them damn Yankees

and Swiss is far better than Goex

but cant get Swiss here, so Goex is all I can use

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.