Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A Marlin 336T, currently chambered in .30-30 as seen here: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=237295926 Bore is mint and except for the handling marks and scratches noted I think I got a reasonable buy.

It is a 1978 production rifle and after inquiry of Marlin (Remington) I was informed that they will no longer do Cowboy Conversions.

So I can buy all the extra stuff I need, minus the barrel and installing the parts.

Does anyone have a recommendation for doing this type of work? And whose Barrel would you recommend?

I haven't decided if I am going to keep it chambered in .30-30 or move up to a .38-55. I already have a 35 Remington 336 Deluxe Texan so I am not considering that caliber. Looking for a 24"-26" barrel configuration.

Thank you for your thoughts and comments.

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
Barrels and smiths do not come cheap. Unless you have the ability to DIY, you night be ahead to find a cowboy in .38-55. Either way, best wishes, jack

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah Your right, I checked with Grizzly and a few others. Prices are spread all long the spectrum. The problem is finding a company that will make the Octagon barrel in 30-30 or 38-55 for the 336 receiver. There is where I have found some difficulty...Summer project..LOL ;)

·
Registered
871 Posts
That thing is sweet!

Just shoot it and enjoy!

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mike Leck said:
Kid, when did the Deluxe Texans come out? Must be a nice gun!

Mine left the factory in June 1961, yes it is still in the same condition. ;D

·
Premium Member
9,465 Posts
You might want to consider Harry McGowen Gunsmithing in St. Anne, IL. I don't have his phone number right now, but you could call Information to get it. He built a custom Marlin in a wildcat caliber for me. His prices are pretty reasonable, and his work is excellent. He provided the donor rifle for me, and, including the custom made chamber reamer and custom loading dies, it ran about $1500.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts