Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love my Marlin Cowboy Carbine 1894 45 Colt but I honestly prefer the top eject lever actions. Still the smoothness of the Marlin JM must be hard to beat because mine is like butter.

I came across this one and yes it needs a good cleaning but the bluing looks nice and the grain in the stock looks very attractive! So I plan to strip it and refinish it. I think it will be a gem in the rough honestly once cleaned. It was owned by a SASS champ of the early 90's and was bought new in Arizona. Seller's Uncle was the original owner and he said it has been sitting in a safe since 1997 when his Uncle died. I had him check the action and bore and he said the rifle has no rust and the bore looks new but the rifle itself has some dried oil. So the fact that it literally has West history is a plus to me. I'm just really excited about this! Got it for $550. Is it worth that?

·
Registered
295 Posts
Nice find! While I am certainly no expert, that rifle in that condition would sell for at least what you have in it in my area.....likely a bit more.

·
Premium Member
4,939 Posts
Yup, I'd buy it at that price, if I could find one at that price. It's got a few dust bunnies here and there, but doesn't look hurt to me. Give it a spit shine and show it off again. Congratulations!

·
Premium Member
1,245 Posts
I woulda paid that for it so yes, I would say it's a fair price (I have been known to pay way too much for weapons and this one I think would not fit that category)

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
I am confused, you are on a Marlin Forum, but thought you would never buy a Marlin again, but did buy a Marlin, even though you like top eject better. Anyway... I would have bought it, I think, well I don’t know, yea, I would have, maybe, at that price. Just kidding...., or am I? I don’t know, I am still consfused.

·
Banned
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am confused, you are on a Marlin Forum, but thought you would never buy a Marlin again, but did buy a Marlin, even though you like top eject better. Anyway... I would have bought it, I think, well I don’t know, yea, I would have, maybe, at that price. Just kidding...., or am I? I don’t know, I am still consfused.
What confused you?

I bought one Marlin which I love and will doubtfully never sell, that brought me here. However I like top eject so I didn't think I'd ever look into buying another one. This one fell in my lap and I couldn't say no.

Did I lose you anywhere? I typed slowly, I promise.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
What confused you?

I bought one Marlin which I love and will doubtfully never sell, that brought me here. However I like top eject so I didn't think I'd ever look into buying another one. This one fell in my lap and I couldn't say no.

Did I lose you anywhere? I typed slowly, I promise.
You have to recognize where I am from, Arkansas, doesn’t take much to confuse me!!! Lol. Just messing with you. I couldn’t help myself.

·
Registered
7,987 Posts
A rifle is worth what you're willing to pay for it. I'd say you got a good deal considering the caliber and the condition. As they say Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. I am willing to pay more for a rifle that is in excellent condition that was hardly every fired, and not hunted. Those are the rifles I hang onto. If I don't sell any of those near perfect rifles off as I get closer to the other side, my nephew will be happy to have my small collection. Enjoy!

Mike T.

·
Registered
5,971 Posts
If it was owned SASS champ it probably had an action job done. Its actually worth more than what you paid

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.