Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have been looking through the forum and found some good info here, so far I have identified the year as a 1972, first 2 digits of sn# are 72. Please correct me if I am misinformed. I will try to get a picture of the markings on the barrel. Is there any other info you can give me on this? And what would you consider a fair price for this gun? I only paid $300.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
Looks like proof marks from some other country. It may have been exported originally, then found it's way back to the US.

Welcome to the forum. Enjoy,

·
Registered
9,156 Posts
Very nice shape and a great price!! I love the Marlins from that time period with the slim wood forearms! Congratulations on a great find and at a great price! DP

Reactions: unclesarge58

·
El Kabong
8,333 Posts
If it says 72, would that not be a 1928? But then it could not be a 336

·
Registered
9,156 Posts
In 1972, Marlin was still using the year as the first two digits of the serial number. DP

·
Banned
8,177 Posts
Looks to be in very good shape.I would say you did well for $300.How does it shoot?That is most important.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
".....would you consider this a fair price.......?" Open for debate but if you consider it fair, that`s all that counts. You didn`t mention condition, which goes a long way as far as price goes.

·
Registered
10,613 Posts
Looks good, especially for havin been half way around the world and back.:congrats:
And Welcome to the fourm.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That beauty has been to Europe and back! Welcome from Alabama...
Can you tell me how you came to that conclusion? What marking leads to that? Thanks for the info.

As for how it shoots? I am not sure yet, only cleaned and inspected. Very little wear on this gun, one small blemish on the stock. Micro-grove bore looks clean and relatively low shot count. Action cycles well with not catches and locks up tight.

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
HEGE is Hege Waffen Tradename used by Hege GmbH, & Company of Schwabisch Hall, West Germany on Sporting Arms.

ref, Gun Barrel and Receiver Codes and Markings reprinted by Cornell Publications.

or this website http://www.proofhouse.com/cm/codes_markings.htm

·
Super Moderator
17,219 Posts
As Ram Said, Hege Is A German Barrel Stamp... I Recognized It Because A Good Buddy Of Mine Shipped Some Of His Guns Back To The U.S. He Picked Up There When He Was In The Army. The Rest Of The Marks I Dont Recognize But They Are Probably Proof Stamps Applied After Barrel Testing. And The One Just Before The JM That Says 72 Was The Year Stamp Of The Testing...

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Interesting... A gun that traveled to Europe and back, even has the proof stamped on the barrel. That gives it a interesting level of uniqueness.

As for $300, any 336 in decent shape will usually command a price of that or more.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Deutschland at that.....nice find, good price.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I think you did very well. Welcome from the "hilly" part of Ohio.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts