Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have decided mm93 and 'hogger' to "come outta the closet~ :roll:
This is what i have been up to for the last few months....collecting the little old stevens line of 'finned' 22's. :p
the variety is endless so it seems tho! There are NO records kept, a call to savage revealed NOTHING...all records lost in the bankruptcy. So~what i do know is there are a few model changes between the years, trigger guards, stock tips with black on them, small stuff...and it would seem the rollstamps were a after thought...as my "scout" model K, had a "D" stamp!!:b So I have "B" models, with "a" rollstamps!
There are 'plastic' stock models, with "Tenite", 22 shorts only models, carbines, and all types of rifles~peeped, scoped, etc....it'll take me years to get them all, and then I will have to try and arrange them w/o concrete info as to years of manufacture! :?
These are all around 1942~1958 vintage....some later models will have the common scope grooves, ealier will have the "T or N" mount holes in the reciever, and earlier than that will be D&T for peep only.....as far as i know: 87A,87AB,87AT,87B,87C,87D,87K,87H,87M,872~clip models are 85,85A,85K
I have a few "parts" guns, but here is the 'collection" so far:

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
There's only one thing left to do... Start the Sav/Stevens Finned 22 Collector's Assn.!!! :D Pool the information & pics the members will send in - put it all together in a book & use half the proceeds to buy more! :p For all your trouble & effort, a portion of the annual dues could be diverted for "administrative expenses, too"! :wink:

The other half would be for stuff wifey likes. Ya gotta consider politics in big projects like this! :wink:

However - know well this is not an endeavor for the easily discouraged! The first few annual meetings could wind up in some budget-minded lodging such as 'Karl's Kozy Kampground' in Doodlebug, Ark. With the banquet consisting of a big sack o' 99 cent boogers from Mc Ronalds & the members passing around a bottle of something in a brown bag.

Karl is a sociable kind of guy, though & I'm sure he would not object to lining some picnic tables up for the annual show, swap fest & tall tale competition. :D His kids don't suffer from ADD too severely, and I'm sure they would only upset one or two tables.

But from such humble beginnings is greatness often born! Heck, in 15 - 20 years you could be nervously waiting at the Vegas airport to meet the guest MC. Sandy, even!! :shock: Dashing to & fro to be sure the dancing girls were all properly attired for the floor show so you could beat it back to your suite of rooms ( the entire 9th floor ) and personally sign copies of your latest book: "The Finned 22 and Me".

Your entourage would be in charge of menial tasks like having the interpreters in place for the Euro chapters of your club. Personalized little umbrellas in each attendee's drinks and muscular sky caps to assist the big collectors to wheel their vast collections into the great hall! :D Appropriately-attired cuties at the doors with maps showing precise locations of vendors' tables and listing same in alphabetical order.

And afterward? Why, ballroom dancing, champagne and hobnobbing with the collecting world's elite!

Heck! Sounds like a deal to me & I want in on the bottom floor! What are dues? ... You take postdated checks, don't you?... :wink: SW

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
if snadra is gonna be there..........

:( i don't think i could be there.......something about the trust dept at home..... :wink: this is the ONLY girl i can hold.........

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Yea, let Hogger and me know when the club starts, and we'll join just to keep you company until the rest of the Savage collectors sign on. That is if you don't mind a couple of strange lookin gun nut guys in the group? :shock:
I can't tell who's hairier in that picture?? :wink: Youse guys look like family! :D :wink:

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
At least you're disciplined! I still haven't gotten out of the old any ol' .22 will do mode.

I could offer info on the old steel 3/4" tube Weaver's and mounts, and run seminars on how to drill and tap the old Savage's on a drill-press- no Brownell's jig required. Please bring your own two sided deck carpet tape, guns and scopes. All this for an entirely modest fee.... :p

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sav/Stevens Finned 22 Collector's Assn

It would seem that i did want to start a ron-de-voo for the collecting group at Karl's kozy campground, complete with showground stage for the said rifles. I confirmed the permits for the large gathering of people in this small burg, and the high sheriff even said he would attend...just to keep an eye on the participants. tables were secured, building decorated, soda pop stand vendor and refreshments brought in...all was going well. then the day before opening, i had to cancel! the locals had a town meeting, whereupon a large sign had been placed at the city limits:

this now precludes any 'finned collectors' being able to hold a show here, we will have to ree-locate to a friendlier town, as we can't entirely depend on a vast arry of finned 22's to draw gawkers and pay for the building and electricity, the show must pay for itself somehow, and the girls need they're money!
back to square one...... :idea:

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Well, the plan needs a little fine tuning, but it would be a hoot! :D Might have to skip the Doodlebug, Ark gig & start right out at the Sands in Vegas! Get some of the 'free drink cuties' to hand out Finned 22 Assn Show flyers. I think it would still fly!

I called Karl to let him know the deal was pretty much off & he was all morose - seems he had planned to combine the Sav/Stevens annual meeting with the Miss Doodlebug beauty pageant as well as the NW Ark. carp dynamiting competition. He figured to have a full Kozy Kampground for a couple weeks running. Luckily, he had not mailed the deposit to "Peter Potter's Porta-potties" or Doodlebug Dumpsters.

A gal down the road had been willing to front up cash for the pork chitterling,salad and pone all-u-can-eat-for-one-money-buffet concession, and the whole thing had been looking pretty prosperous for folks in Doodlebug. Some of the Jr High cheerleaders offered to participate, too. ( just the ones that have been in the 8th grade 5 years running)

Darn do-gooders! :evil: Always gettin' in the way of a little fun! Let me plot & scheme a little - this looks too good to let slide by. I mean, how many associations will let you join with a post-dated check and an IOU for the chitterling/pone/salad bar buffet?

Heck, I might have to buy a couple finned Sav/Stevens so it won't look like I'm showing up just to pig out on chitterlings & whistle at cheerleaders! :wink: I'm open for suggestions here - Kaintuck has a worthy cause going!! :D SW

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
we'll keep trying......

i think we are on ta' something here..so i'm packing the truck with needed foodstuffs for a over nite over the road trip.....we'll find a place to hold the 'finned 22 symposium' yet!

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
I see you got the liquid refreshments - I'll scare up the necessary ingredients for a mess o' Rocky Mt Oysters! :D mmm-MMM!! Good & good for ya!! :D Then a brain storming session!! SW

·
Registered
272 Posts
WOW,,that takes me back a looong ways..When I was 12 in 1949, I decided it was time to buy a new "modern" 22 rifle..So I sold my bike,sold my war stamps,took my muskrat earnings and down to Montgomery Wards I went..Stood up on my hind legs and bought the finest they had,,A model 6D59A Westernfield,,22 long rifle smokeless greased only......Well at least that is what is marked on my MEMORIES rifle.It is but a reminder of years gone and is NOT the original rifle I bought..but sure nuff resembles it in all ways..Has the finned side and lock for single shot-repeater mode.under barrel magazine.. WORST thing I ever did to my shooting skill,,,killed all skill.Started shooting wildly like the movies of today.."just fill the air,sumtin will be hit.."When you hunt with three other guys and they are shooting single shots or bolt actions,,you are constantly begging for ammo..Turns friends into guys who have had enough of your ways..even with the lock for single shot I couldn't control myself..Very interesting rifles them FINNED guns..modoc

1 - 10 of 10 Posts