Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Around these parts 22LR has been gradually becoming a little easier to find. That means for me that my rimfire-itis, which has been in a bit of a remission for almost two years, has come back. I passed on buying at least a half dozen 22's in various shapes and sizes during the worst of the ammo drought. Recently, however, I've put a Used Marlin bolt action and a new Ruger 10/22 DSP on layaway. I'm afraid more 22's will follow me home soon if I'm not careful.

I bought several centerfire guns over the past couple of years, as I could always get ammo to shoot them. I like them a lot, but it's not a sickness. (Okay, I might just have a little touch of Marlinitis, too. It's also possible that I'm in denial about that :). I'm pretty sure I can stop whenever I want to!).

I'm told there is no known treatment or cure for rimfire-itis. The only thing that can be done is to feed the habit. Is that true?

·
Registered
325 Posts
The cure is a painful series of withdrawals brought on by the fact I haven't seen a box of 22 in over a year..

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
My husband picked up the shooting bug from me when we got married. I've been shooting all my life, everything from rim fires up to the really big boomers, but Bill just never got into shooting anything with much recoil. I think he'd be happy shooting rimfires the rest of his life, especially our Marlin 39s. Like me, he is now a Marlin addict and he will actually step away from his rim fires to shoot one of our Marlin center fires, now and then. We have a lot of guns and about two thirds of them are rim fires.

·
Registered
7,432 Posts
WHY would anyone want a cure!:hmmmm:

·
Registered
278 Posts
Go with it :driver:

Reactions: Klewless

·
Premium Member
12,131 Posts
I have the same problem. I own 5 rifles and a revolver now. Four of the rifles are Marlins and then I have a Golden Boy and a Heritage revolver. Now I have my eye on a Remington model 34 bolt action. I don't think there is a cure.

·
Registered
5,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I fear there is NO cure, just controlled treatments. These were all purchased within the past few months. I can tell myself I'm done, but I'm secretly afraid my purchasing lull is due to lack of supply and not willpower.

View attachment 105769
Wow. With those beauties, I'm pretty sure willpower is not even in play. More like "how fast can I get my wallet out?"

·
Registered
9,954 Posts
Head toward the light............ Don't fight it !!!! :driver:

Reactions: Klewless

·
Premium Member
12,131 Posts
Nice group you have Golphin! That 39 is way high up on my "I want real bad" list.
That thing is so sweet. I was so focused on the 35 Remington I bought there I didn't register just how nice it was. He was trying to show me the 39 and I wanted to look and finally bought the 35, but could never get that 39 out of my head. Happy I kept thinking about it and it was still there. It is by far my favorite. I think you were the one that told me it was a carbine as I had not idea and had never heard of one. Of course I knew the straight stocks were special and normally on the Mounties from reading here.

·
Banned
1,175 Posts
Their is a cure for this disease and it can be easily cured, go broke.

James

·
Registered
135 Posts
I've fought rimfire-itis and succeeded. Mostly because I'm 17 and broke and with the ammo shortage I can't really shoot them all that much.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
I could quit any time I want.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
The key is purchasing ONLY rifles and handguns that are sanely justifiable.

This is quite simple.
Minimum you need a rifle that you will use with CB class ammo. This is actually an important firearm, as elimim=nating tree rats etc. on the bird feeder is an important task. I have a slick little Savage M30 single shot for this. I refitted a Tang peep and globe front.
You always need a rifle for predators/vermints. This should shoot well with the .22LR stuff at the top end of the power range, like Aguila Interceptor. I use a 77/22VBZ with a retrofitted Shilen barrel, and scoped with a Leupold 3X-9X AO Compact or a 1X-4X. Ruger rings let me go back and forth depending on foxes or groundhogs/prairie dogs, etc. 1.5" groups at 100yds make it a solid performer where low noise and power are needed.
You cannot easily go back and forth with SV/Subsonic all the time, so a seperate rifle for that is almost mandatory to shoot edibible small game. Head shots are the game, and my Savage BV is one of the good ones, and will shoot under 1/2" from a bench @ 50yds all day. With a sweet Nikon P22 2X-7X, it's head shot capable to 50-60yds, I use mid-range target ammo for this task.
A tricked out 10/22 you assembled yourself, who doesn't need one of those. Mine is simple and working class with a Green Mountain 16.25" fluted barrel, Kidd trigger works, and a Hogue stock. Topped with a Nikon 2X-7X Shotgun scope, it's quite the shooter with most anything it's fed, never junk bulk ammo.

Handguns? A good target auto, I have a MKI Target, gotta have. Who would go forth without a Single Six, my 6.5" Stainless is over 30 years old, and like new. But it was a bit slo, so I supplemented a SP101/4" as a match for my SP101/4"-.357. What else. Love my switch barrel P22, great trail gun. And my Iver Johnson TP22 has been more miles with me than any other handgun.

Just my thoughts, but I'm open for any niche applications I may have overlooked.

·
Premium Member
1,698 Posts
I've got the same problem, my last 2 guns have been rimfires, a Marlin 989M2 and a High Standard Sentinel :biggrin:.

·
Premium Member
1,698 Posts
I've got the same problem, my last 2 guns have been rimfires, a Marlin 989M2 and a High Standard Sentinel :biggrin:.
I appears I spoke too soon, I just got back from buying a Browning BL-22 :biggrin:. Nope, no cure :flute:.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts