Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an aquantance who has reloaded for years. He has done a lot of reloading for some match shooters. He has terminal cancer and no one in his family he wanted to leave it to so asked me to take some supplies.
So far he gave me 40,000 primers or so of all varieties lots of CCI, Winchester, Federal, but a couple I had not heard of Western Improved 8 1/2 Made by Western Cartridge Co., Model Perfect Primers, and (know the name not the primer) Remmington No 9 Copper Primers. He gave me over 100 pounds of powder as well as a powder box for storage and had two cans of Bullseye Smokeless Revolver and Pistol Powder, that he said the cans are collectors items (very tiny screw cap in the center of the rectangle shaped lid) but that the powder is still good, both are full. Yellow label with red writing I believe.

If you are familiar with these I would like to hear about them.

·
Administrator
23,798 Posts
Western Improved aka Winchester Western now known as Winchester.
It sounds to me like this guy has a lot of quite old inventory. The sealed containers of powder I would use. If unsealed and identifiable, use it. If unsealed and no real id don't use it. The Bullseye is nothing more than the present day Bullseye, albeit old if opened be wary. Use modern manuals on this data, I would cross reference with the manuals your friend has been using which are probably old also. I am familiar with the description of the items you have and will tell you they are old. The primers I would try to sell the Winchester Westerns, the Model Perfect, and the No 9 copper by remington at a gun show to a collector, or maybe E-Bay. Along with the Bullseye. You should be able to get more than it would cost for a new can of powder or brick of primers. Otherwise I would personally shoot the stuff up before your present inventory turns antique.

·
Premium Member
18,030 Posts
The only rule about powder is that as it begins to break down, it smells different. The smell is described as "Acrid", which to me sounds sharp and offensive, nothing like fresh powder. If in doubt, use it for fertilizer! It works very well.

Papajohn

1 - 5 of 5 Posts