Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question about the second cannelure on the .430" 265gr. FN bullets.

Does anyone know what the bottom cannelure on the new .430" 265gr. FN. bullet is for? It's to close to the bottom to make sense. The only thing that comes to mind is it's for use with the Hornady LE cases (the short cases).

I have the Hornady Handbook of cartridge Reloading 8TH. Edition and it show the .430" 265gr. FN. with one cannelure. Looking at the .430" bullets pictures in this book and the 265gr. FN. bullets jacket I have in my hand (new box of bullets) resembles the .430" 225gr. FTX jacket. It doesn't match up to the .430" 265gr. FTX jacket.

The bottom cannelure on the 265gr FTX shows to be higher than the 265gr. FN. I have in my hand. I'm thinking that the 265gr. FN and the 225gr. FTX is one of the same jacket that went through the same cannelure process.

It looks like the 225gr. is a 265gr FN. made into a hollow point and a flax tip inserted in it, there is only a 40gr. difference.
If anyone has the new 265gr. FN and the 225gr. FTX bullet compare them and see if they match up. I would like to know

TO NY

·
Premium Member
1,167 Posts
Re: I have a question about the second cannelure on the .430" 265gr. FN bullets.

Tony,

I always thought it was for the .44 magnum. I've never tried though.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Re: I have a question about the second cannelure on the .430" 265gr. FN bullets.

I think that is the Interlock Ring but that is a guess based on looking at the specs and drawings on the Hornady site.

EDIT: A closer read of the thread title made clear to me the question was regarding the 265gr FN bullet not the 265 FP. Apologies for my failure to catch that detail.

Regards, TallGrass

·
Premium Member
1,904 Posts

I emailed Hornady after buying older bullets with one cannelure, to see if they changed them at some point.

The reply said that they are the same bullet, but they added the lower cannelure in order to keep the top one straight.

I know... but that's what they said?

·
Premium Member
6,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Roan444 said:
I emailed Hornady after buying older bullets with one cannelure, to see if they changed them at some point.

The reply said that they are the same bullet, but they added the lower cannelure in order to keep the top one straight.

I know... but that's what they said?
That's not a straight answer. My belief is that 44 cal. 265 gr. rifle bullet and the 225 gr. pistol is one of the same. What separates them is the flex tip.
The next time I order supplies I'm getting a box of .430" 225 gr. FTX bullet and load them for the 444 at 1900 fps. just to see if they're accurate in my 444S. Maybe even a few wet phone test at a 100 yards.

TO NY

1 - 5 of 5 Posts