Marlin Firearms Forum banner

I have a decision to make

2K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  gunpowder 
#1 ·
I have a decision to make wheather to trade my Marlin 336CB in 38-55 caliber for a Marlin 336ER in 356 caliber. Both rifles are in like new condation.

Be interesting to see what you would do.

By the way, I have several 38-55 caliber rifles and 0 356 calibers.

Thanks for your imput,

djh

#2 ·
Tough decision, but I would personally keep the 336CB. I just like the looks of that model.

#4 ·
In total agreement with duckbill, make the trade, you probably will have to boot up some but if it is anything near reasonable make the trade. If you don't make the trade there are any number of board members who would be interested in the .356 so please let us know what you decide.

SS

#11 ·
djh said:
Sidespin:

I intend to keep it. I know of no other true 200+ yd. lever action on the market. djh
I Deer hunt Valentine Nebraska Sandhills. Merrit Reservoir. An area where an open field shot at a Deer can be 5-yards or a 1,000 yards. I shot a Doe with my Win lever action 375. I put the front sight 'dot' over her with plenty of daylight, the front sight dot actually covered her whole body and I led her about half the body length or what I thought was her body length, and squeeze off the shot as she angled to her left, and sauntered across the side of Sandhill.

Once in a g-r-e-a-t while when I hunt and shoot the sky is clear, no breeze, all the star's and Moon are in alignment, gravitational forces relax, Mr Murphy is at lunch and my karma glows even in day light!

My Brother N Law was watching the Doe thru his 'glass' and said "Her left rear, leg kicked out like a spasm, I think it's a hit?" She jogged another 20-30 yards and fell over. The 200 grain bullet entered the left, rear leg high, a few inches below the line of her back, and came to rest under the hide of the right front shoulder, low on, the front side!

I was glad my Sister, Brother N Law and my Brother were there to see this shot. I started to count my steps in order guess at the range. My measured step is about 30-32-inches. After step number 285, I QUIT counting [I was still a stones throw from the dead Deer]. 30 x 285 = 8550 inches. 8550/ 36"= 237.5 yards.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.