Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 357 and i want to put a shotgun scope on. I know this is not a problem. But i want to use my iron sights for when there isn't enough light. Just wondered how much i had to raise the scope mount. So i could look through to see- Or is this a bad idea. thanks dave

·
Premium Member
5,018 Posts
Hey there tarza -- I would guess if there is not enough light for a scope, there probably isn't enough light for iron sights either. I would be inclined to pick one or the other and live with those particular limitations. Best regards. Wind

·
Super Moderator
12,197 Posts
I'm not a fan of see-through rings but if they work for you then go for it. For me the solution was to utilize low Leupold QRW rings on Warne bases which is about as low as you can go. I'm running this setup on several rifles and it allows me to remove the scope in a matter of seconds and use the factory sights if needed.

·
Premium Member
3,536 Posts
Another option would be to mount a scout scope forward of the receiver on quick release rings and have a receiver mounted peep sight, ready to go.
Here is a picture of mine, with an XS Lever Scout Mount on my 45 Colt. Still haven't bought a peep sight for it yet, but plan to soon...

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
On my 1894, I have a Weaver rail and can see the iron sights over it. I also use QR rings so I can switch back and forth easily.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I purchased low ring mounts and found I really needed a little more elevation on the scope for quick target acquistion. I think it important that when I bring the Marlin to my shoulder and look into the sight I have a clear centered image of the cross hairs. I bought a high rail weaver base and it worked fine. I find that I can see the front sight below the mounting of the scope rings, but it is pretty weak and I cannot imagine when, or where I'd want to use the iron sights in lieu of the scope.

·
Premium Member
761 Posts
The scope gathers light and is better in low light than iron sights.

I dont know why you would want to switch back and forth.. enlighten me :)

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Why switch back and forth? ???

I'm sure there are more reasons, but I like the scope for hunting and the irons for the range for fun plinking. The irons would also work for hunting if something happened to the scope. ;D

·
Administrator
23,800 Posts
tarza said:
i have a 357 and i want to put a shotgun scope on. I know this is not a problem. But i want to use my iron sights for when there isn't enough light. Just wondered how much i had to raise the scope mount. So i could look through to see- Or is this a bad idea. thanks dave
With the scope you will be able to see better in low light conditions.

·
Super Moderator
12,197 Posts
TN Knucklehead said:
kingstrider:
what kind of iron sites do you have on your rifle i like the looks of them
Those are Williams Firesights which come stock on certain models like the 336SDT and 308SDT shown in the photo above. They are much better than factory irons as the fiber optic inserts are really easy to pick out in the woods.

·
Premium Member
9,038 Posts
Kingstrider and Eagles Nest, Which scopes are you guys using?

·
Premium Member
3,536 Posts
Pat/Rick said:
Mines a 2.75 NcStar that I bought to see if I liked a scout scope setup. It seems like a good one but I will at some point replace it with a Leupold. I kind of like the 2.75 power for what I use that gun for, mostly 50 yd shots..

·
Premium Member
3,003 Posts
I can see better in bad light with this old Tasco Bantam 2.5X shotgun scope than I can with the naked eye,plus a little magnification can make a big difference sometimes.The six inch eye releif puts it ahead of the hammer and you can shoot with both eyes open.Just as fast as a red-dot without the battery hassle.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
12,197 Posts
Pat/Rick said:
Those are Leupold VX-III 1.5-5x20mm scopes. I'm running them on several Marlins and find them ideal for both the bench and in the field. They are expensive but since the newer VX-3 came out you can sometimes find them used for around $250-300..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts