Marlin Firearms Forum banner

I have a 308ME coming, but have some reloading questions.

709 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Three_oh_8MX 
#1 ·
Early this week I sent another MO member some funds for the 308ME he was selling in the classifieds. I realize that this caliber reaches its full potential shooting the Hornady LE ammo, but I am curious about other bullets. I currently load for 30-30, so I have used 150gr & 170gr round nose bullets (Remington Core-Lokts, Hornady InterLocks & Speer DeepCurls), but I running a touch low on bullets and will have to order some more. But before doing so, I would love to hear some thoughts and opinions about using any of the above mentioned bullets in the 308ME. They all have worked fine in 30-30's, and I know that they are all good bullets, but I am really looking for 308ME specific thoughts. Any good shooting recipes are greatly appreciated as well. Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
The Hornday 160gr FTX bullet is available as well as the Leverevolution powder. I just finished working up loads and got 2599 fps out of my 308mx. Use the Hornady data and work the load up for your rifle.

#3 ·
I have used the Remington 170gr RNCLs over RL15 and get decent accuracy out to 200yds. I took a small buck in '09 at about 60yds with these reloads and the bullet performance was functional. The shot was quartering to with a complete pass through entering just inside the on-side shoulder and exiting behind the off-side shoulder. The deer did run about 40yds before dropping dead. Meat loss was minimal.

Hornady says 36.3 to 41.0 grains of RL 15 with their 170gr FP I stopped @ 40 grains with the Remington pill...

Hope this helps,
-chris

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.