Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And I don't use the word hate lightly!

The show has given my wife ideas for a bathroom vanity for our SC build. Sooner or later the build process will start if I can jump through all of the ever tightening permit hoops.
Anyhow, the wife picked up an old wood dresser with an attached mirror on a harp. She ordered a Kholer sink to go into the dresser along with a faucet. That is just fine and dandy, but now she wants me to install this sink into this dresser. I just wanted a plain old sink and cabinet that is easily obtained at Home Depot, already put together.
This vanity idea is only one small portion of the plans the wife is devising, from hGTV ideas, to drive me nuts.
Has anyone else gone through the HGTV induced headaches?
Andrew

·
Registered
28,743 Posts
I feel your PAIN! Trade you!

Susan has a antique dresser/side mirror opens to hang clothes and five drawers to put clothes in. She wants me to restore it! It's so dry and brittle I'm scare to attempt to touch it! Her daughter had bought it and left it out on back porch! Sun, Rain, Elements!

ca'jun56

·
Registered
540 Posts
Yea, renovating my whole house basically(bought new/new construction in 2007!). Ugh! Talk about ruining my “retired” at 46 scheme!

Toilet leaked at ring seal upstairs and ruined the glued down 5/8” engineered flooring I installed previously in the basement. Now, with the advent of better glues and sealing technology I am gluing down 2 1/4”x 3/4” hardwood in the basement to the concrete floor. I have to run a 29 1/4” run and strap clamp the dickens out of it to straighten and close small gaps. Slow tedious process but it sure does feel good on the feet and looks sharp too.

I was in the process of finishing out the addition (640sqft) kitchen that has been under roof for over two years...then bam, toilet leak!

Had the living room vaulted ceiling lowered to flat, just had the new gas fireplace installed in the living room Friday.

Then its master bathroom remodel and build a new walk in master closet off the bedroom into the old kitchen!

Yea, every time I catch her watching that station I cringe!

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
First wife was like that. Wanted me to open up the house by removing the load bearing wall because they did it on TV. Yeah, with about four 2x4s sistered together and tied into the foundation supporting a 750 pound steel beam. And a temp wall on either side while removing the center wall and installing the steel beam. Hardly a weekend project!

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Just wait until your wife wants to put that shiplap crap over everything.
Yep. I have to admit though, I do like the look of the more conservative styles. It would look good stained as a backdrop to a bar in a big shed size man cave. It will be out of fashion like 70's era fake wood 4x8 paneling soon enough.

·
Registered
12,972 Posts
My wife watches those shows too. That's why I won't do any serious work around the house while she's there. First off she thinks things should be torn out with a sledge hammer. Everything they do seems to involve perfect square & plumb walls. They all high 5 each other everytime they drive a nail. There are some remodels that would be ridiculous expense and others that waste time fooling with junk that should be trashed. I got a butt load of her telling me how I'm not doing it like the guys on TV. In fact just had her go visiting so I could redo bath this weekend. Kids know it's good for her health.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Yup, I leaned about Pinterest just the other day...”see honey, this is what I want the kitchen to look like!” and she shows me three entirely different kitchens??!!

Gotta love em, a divorce is just too costly!

·
Registered
540 Posts
You guys are gonna love this. Not just five minutes ago after we came up from laying and strapping down a run of flooring in the basement, the wife starts to tell me: “ You know, that load bearing beam we put in to extend our living room into the new addition 2 feet? I respond with, “Uh huh?”. She says, “Well that has got to go it screws up my new living room ceiling transition into the new dining room/kitchen ceiling.”

Now, I explained this too her a couple times before I had my contractor and his crew demo the existing exterior load bearing wall and then install the engineered beam doubled up! He even explained it to her once or twice, but she said do it.(No way my wife and I were going to be able to do the heavy lifting and fitting and he works cheap, and that’s when I had them lower the vaulted ceiling in the living room by running 10 2x12x20’s across the span. I do the light framing, finished carpentry, flooring, drywall, electrical, some plumbing and of course the fricken painting)

So now, I am going to be reframing from the new existing wall into the addition back 2’, back to the original location of the exterior wall and blend the beam into my new wall. Hey, at least the extra wide opening(entranceway) into the addition will already be “headered” by means of the beam and I’m just adding relief walls to tie it all together. Might even do a recessed built in book case with that extra 2 feet I frame back into the living room?

It never ends! When she builds our new house, I’m making sure I’m going to be in Colorado going to Gunsmithing school next year...that’s the plan anyways! Would have went this year but...working on this darn house killed those plans.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts