Marlin Firearms Forum banner

I got my Davidson's SS 1894 357, but I have a major problem!

2K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  sheepdog 
#1 ·
I picked up my SS 357 1894 yesterday. I took it home and figured I would see what ammo would cycle through it. Well nothing will cycle through it!!!!!!

I tried some 38's loaded with the typical 158 SWC and the Speer 135 Gold Dot. Also tried some 357's loaded with the Speer 158 Gold Dot, the Hornady 158 XTP HP and FP, and a 165 FP GC LBT design.

All of them drop right in the chamber when single loaded. All of them clear the magazine and come up on the lifter. But, none of them can make the transition from the lifter into the chamber when the lever is cycled. I tried operating the lever slow, medium, and fast speeds. Nothing seems to make a difference.

What looks like is happening is the front of the bullet and about 0.25" of the case makes it into the chamber at a pretty steep angle and then the action binds/locks-up with the case angled upward toward the chamber. The case gets a gouge from the bottom sharp lip of the chamber and it won't go any further in.

What is going on here, a timing problem with the lifter or bolt?

I am going to call the dealer back this morning, but this sucks!

Thanks,
Mark in GA

See less See more
#2 ·
Probably the rim of the case is hanging up on the extractor. The rim needs to lift up behind the extractor if it don't the case enters the chamber at such a steep angle it will jam in the mouth of the chamber. Check the back side of the extractor and make sure there are no burrs on it. I had the same problem with a cowboy comp 38spl and all I had to do to fix this gun was lightly polish the back side of the extactor.

#3 ·
Mark in Ga. Wyatt is right, you have a problem with your extractor. On my SS 41 Mag I had to smooth up the back of the extractor and polish the bolt face. It now feeds anything. Ron

#7 ·
I have the exact same problem with an 1894C I just bought, the cartridge gets about quarter inch in the chamber and binds up because the ejector is cocking the case so the bolt can't get a straight push on it. Marlin said send it back and they'll take care of it. I have a Davidsons 357 LTD SS on layaway.

#8 ·
ss 1894 .357

How is the Davidson's rifle different from the regular blued one other than SS?? My dealer said it has a round barrel-$607+tax----only made 351----sounds like what I want-cheaper than Armalloying it...thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.