Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I got my 1894 357SSLTD out of layaway last weekend, It shoots REAL straight, but like my 1894C, won't feed worth a damn. Cartridge is entering chamber crooked and binding up. I know some of you have had this same problem. I can't decide whether to send them back to marlin or go with Jim West or Brockmans. HELP!!- Oh-yah, the barrel on the SSLTD isn't screwed on enough, the sights are leaning right and magazine tube is hanging off to the left, barrel needs tightened up just a hair.

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
Send it in you may have headspace issues as well. When Marlin gets done it should be right and the warranty intact.

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
You can send it directly back to Marlin. Give them a call 1-800-544-8892

·
Premium Member
2,044 Posts
When you call them be FIRM on not wanting to pay shipping charges, & they will have UPS pick the rifle up at your home. I had to send my 1894SS back to them twice. They did an excellent job on mine. 444 :D :D :D

·
Registered
48 Posts
Wish I had know that they WOULD pay shipping. For this reason alone, I had my dealer send my 336 SS .35 back. I simply refused to pay shipping myself.

·
Registered
688 Posts
SEND IT BACK. Letting Marlin get away with this is simply wrong.

Now, I've got a question. I truly do not understand this but I know things are done differently in different places. I'm asking because 1894 is not the only person to buy something on layaway and have it all screwed up.

Here, if one buys on layaway one is buying the gun one saw in the shop. E.g. I walk into the shop and see an 1894C on the rack. I ask for a look. It is new. I give it the once over and the front sight is bent, stock cracked and the bolt doesn't fit properly. I hand it back. Then I spy another and ask for a look. It is perfect (as they all should be) and I want to buy it. I decide to put it on layaway as I have only so much cash in the pocket and pay only cash (from my hidden gun fund). THAT is the rifle I'm going to buy. The layaway ticket is written up and I put down the minimum. Included on the ticket is the serial number. Sometime within the next 90 days I walk in to pay off the rifle and pick it up. The serial on he ticket is compared to the rifle and the rifle given the once over again before I fill out the 4473. IF I find something wrong the deal is off, wrong gun, etc. The shop wanting to make the sale finds a good 1894C OR refunds my money. They may try to sell me something else (like a Winchester Trapper :wink: ). In any case I don't take a POS home with me.

Now I know that in some states I might be legally required to buy that particular gun. But, I don't even leave the shop with it if something is wrong. It goes back from the shop to Marlin (and why would the shop accept a POS gun anyway?).

I had a similar situation when I recently ordered a New Vaquero. I inspected the gun BEFORE accepting it and processing the sale even though I had to special order the gun through the shop.

So my question is, just so I understand what is happening here, why do so many seem to get crap when they buy guns? Can they not inspect?

This absolutely is not intended to be a criticism. I just know so little about what happens elsewhere that I feel ignorant and this intrigues me. Thank you.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
the sad point is the lack of quality control on marlins part.there is just alot of lemons leaving the factory.it should be quality out of the box.
I got burnt on a 41 mag,never again!
pete

·
Registered
62 Posts
RedHammer,

If you were unhappy with your first 1894C, why did you buy a second "lemon"? My 1894C is beautifully finished and functions flawlessly.

You stated "It shoots REAL straight". All of the problems you described should have been discovered before shooting it. Now, because you fired it, you own a used rifle which may have depreciated in value.

Marlin has always treated me as a valued customer. Give them a call, you may be pleasantly surprised.

Good shooting and Happy Thanksgiving,

Jim H

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've owned dozens of marlins and never had any trouble so I figured the C was just misfortune, as for not feeding properly, I don't think they would have appreciated me loading a firearm in the sporting goods store. And besides, It's a very limited run item, 351 to be exact, and I couldn't bring myself to let it go. I called Marlin and spoke to a service manager, he agreed to pay all shipping costs if I were to send them back. I think they need to shut down the assembly line and find out why these rifles are leaving the factory in this condition. Marlin is by far my favorite rifle manufacturer, so I am very hesitant to judge them. We'll see if they make it right. I,ll keep you fellers posted.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts