Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 208 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought an 1894 CSBL from a custom shop. I don't want to throw anyone under a bus until I find out how this plays out, so I won't mention any names. But I told him I'm only willing to pay this crazy amount for a new Marlin that have bad reputations because I trust he could get me one without any problems. Here is the problem. My front sight is so far to the right it's hanging out of its dove tail base, and the rear sight is all the way left.
I asked the custom shop if that could have happened in shipping to me. Here is his email response:

I doubt that the sights have moved during shipping. Shoot it to be sure. Most of the new Marlins seem to shoot to the right for some reason. Some have been so bad that we have returned them. Your sights are adjusted to hit the point of aim at 50 yards. If it does not do that please let me know!

The front sight is adjusted by sliding the insert left or right in the dovetailed base. Best done with a tool designed for the job. You should not have to adjust the front sight.

I'm embarrassed to admit, but I paid about $1,500 for a custom gun that seemingly doesn't shoot straight. My real concern is this, one of the custom jobs he did was: "Barrel, remove & recrown w/11° target crown". So I can't even blame this on Marlin right?

I don't know what to do. I'm going to shoot it this Wednesday, but if the sights aren't able to be dead center and hit point of aim, should I ask if I can return the gun for a refund? What would you guys do in my position? Any advice would be much appreciated!
Thank you,
jerdog3

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
So I bought an 1894 CSBL from a custom shop. ....
.... Here is the problem. My front sight is so far to the right it's hanging out of its dove tail base, and the rear sight is all the way left.

I can't imagine any sight being that far from center.
And I would expect them to be off-center to the same side of the barrel.
Shoot it and see how it is. That just doesn't sound right.

You can probably fix it yourself, but you shouldn't have to.
If they don't correct the problem, it might be time to start naming names.

Good luck with it.

·
Registered
10,844 Posts
For that kind of money it should spot on every where.After you shoot it take a wooden dowel & small hammer to tap the sights in line I can not believe the sites can be that far off good luck.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For that kind of money it should spot on every where.After you shoot it take a wooden dowel & small hammer to tap the sights in line I can not believe the sites can be that far off good luck.
I'm so disappointed! I can't express how disappointed I am. I sold one of my favorite guns to be able to buy this one. I had such a good back and forth with this guy telling him how concerned I was with new Marlins. He convinced me that I'd be good. Here are some pics of the sights. This is what he had to do to get it to shoot point of aim, or however you say it. You tell me if this is a $1,500 gun?

Marlin Front Sight_3.JPG
Marlin Front Sight_1.JPG
Marlin Rear Sight_3.JPG
Marlin Rear Sight_2.JPG
Marlin Rear Sight_1.JPG

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Recrowning a barrel will affect the accuracy dramatically if it wasn’t done right. So if the “custom” shop messed it up and are compensating for it by drifting the sights to either side, that just isn’t right. I’d send it back even if it hits the target at fifty yards. The sights should be near center.

·
Registered
13,718 Posts
I'd center the front sight, center the rear sight, then take it out for a test shoot. If the sights needed adjustment, I'd do it at the rear, and leave the front sight centered. Always try to keep the front sight centered. Every shooter needs to learn how to adjust iron sights, it is an absolutely necessary skillset.

If it won't target reasonably with the sights centered, then send it back. If you're within 4 to 5 inches with both sights centered, the necessary adjustments can be made at the rear. Test fire it first before sending it back.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I'd center the front sight, center the rear sight, then take it out for a test shoot. If the sights needed adjustment, I'd do it at the rear, and leave the front sight centered. Always try to keep the front sight centered. Every shooter needs to learn how to adjust iron sights. It's not worth sending it back, iron sight adjustment is an absolutely necessary skillset.
The way I read the complaint is that the shop zeroed it already and that is where they had to adjust the sights. If all I had to do was drift them back to mechanical zero I would not sweat it but if you have to have the sights at their mechanical extreme to get it on paper that is no good.

The photos are not as bad as what the OP was describing but that is still quite a bit off center.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The way I read the complaint is that the shop zeroed it already and that is where they had to adjust the sights. If all I had to do was drift them back to mechanical zero I would not sweat it but if you have to have the sights at their mechanical extreme to get it on paper that is no good.

The photos are not as bad as what the OP was describing but that is still quite a bit off center.
Thank you rx7. I really am trying to find out if I am over reacting. I might be over reacting. I've never got a custom gun before. I've certainly never spent $1,500 on a gun before, so I was expecting a legit custom rifle that was zeroed at the shop like he told me he would. And since one of the jobs he was doing required him to take the barrel off, I would assume that even if the factory didn't put it on straight, he would. Again, I had a long back and forth with him about my concerns with Marlin and I would only be buying it from him since he had such great reviews. So when I saw the sights that far from center, I was pretty disappointed.
So, everyone please look at the pics and let me know if I'm over reacting and if you would be fine with this for this price I paid. I'm honestly trying to see what the consensus is. My feeling...I'm pissed!

·
Registered
680 Posts
I would expect a 1500.00 custom rifle to have the sights centered with the barrel. After all, I do have 22s that I spent 40.00 on that are aligned properly.

It should have been test fired as a base line before he did the work. This is a perfect example of why.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Refund...........
I know you're looking for confirmation but you already know the answer in your heart.
Thank you boys! I am just so disappointed that I want to make sure I'm not over reacting. I thought for sure he would look at the pics and say the sights got bumped in shipping or something. I would lose my job if I tried to hand off the equivalent to a customer.
I'll buy a sight pusher on Amazon and hope it gets here Tuesday so I can bring it to the range on Wednesday. I don't know exactly what kind to get, but I guess the worst that can happen is he can charge me for a front sight if I damage it.

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
They need to make good on that custom rifle. You paid a premium price for a premium product. I would not touch a thing, no adjustments that they could blame you for botching. If you have a red dot site or a good scope laying around, see if the rifle shoots. If it's a reliable good shooter, then the site issue is minor and worth working out. If you cant get good groups with an optic, you have a bigger problem.

·
Registered
6,724 Posts
I recognized your photos from your previous post. This post gives us more information.

Shoot it first
, before you adjust the sights. If the sights should be centered coaxial with the bore to hit the point of aim, then in the position they are in now, I would expect them to shoot w-a-a-y left--probably a foot or more at 50 yards. It should not shoot to the point of aim where they are now.

If your sights absolutely need to be in their present position to hit the point of aim, then there are several possibilities. Either the barrel is bent, or it is cross threaded into the receiver, or the barrel threads in the receiver are not coaxial with the centerline of the receiver. Any of these should have been discovered by your shop.

Place a straight edge along the center top of the receiver and see if the barrel deviates side to side from the line of the straight edge. Remember that the barrel is tapered. Also, place the rifle receiver flat on a counter or table and see if the rifle barrel is closer to the table on one side than the other. You're trying to see if the barrel is straight with the axis of the receiver.

IMG_0806.jpg IMG_0807.jpg

This is where the front sight needs to be on my SKS in order to hit the point of aim. The rear sight on mine is not adjustable for windage. This is a (cheap) Norinco Chinese copy. Your Marlin should not need to be that way.

Sorry for your trouble.

Let us know.

1 - 20 of 208 Posts