Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Team 45-70 Big Buck Contest Winner 2012
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After hearing all the negative chatter about the 338MX I wasn't sure about buying one. Although I really wanted one to go with my 308MX, I was on the fence. I looked at 4 rifles before deciding that this one was good enough to buy.
It is a 91xxxxxx serial number with a REM proof barrel. The bolt sits flush in the action and the barrel looks straight ;D
The gun shop owner pulled the bolt for me and allowed me to inspect the chamber (like I knew what I was looking for ::) ) before purchase. It looked good to me and the barrel is rifled ;)
The figure in the wood of the butt-stock looks very nice for a ~$500 field gun. The fit and finish is acceptable though maybe not quite as good as my 308MX.
I bought 3 boxes of ammo and maybe should have bought more as they were $27, I plan to load for the 338MX, however dies and bullets will have to come later as SWMBO was not as excited about the rifle as I was :p Something about being tricked as it was the same as the other one just different bullets.

Now to steal the scope off the 308MX or wait until I can afford to buy another and see if it shoots.

-chris

·
Premium Member
2,031 Posts
That's a nice pair...you don't hear me say that often about guns. ;)

·
Premium Member
492 Posts

·
Premium Member
454 Posts
Nice figure on that buttstock. If I actually saw one like that Id probably snatch it up too.

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
That is some nice looking wood on that rifle. you need to come down when the weather gets a little nicer and we can go do some shooting.

·
Premium Member
12,566 Posts
Looks good. Don't steal the scope from the 308, go get another one to match so both guns are set up the same way.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Still on the fence myself on either the 308 or the 338 MX . ;D
Brass, bullets, dies and ammo for the 308 might be beter to get my hands on than what I have seen for the 338 ME here in Ontario Canada .
Then the local Dealer only has the 338 MX no 308 ME .

Think you did well on the new gun as I too like the wood grain

·
Registered
363 Posts
Re: Envy is a sin...

I have been wanting a 308 MX since they first came out. I only see them in a few outlets and so far, finding one worth buying has been problematic. I haven't yet.

In the meantime, since my quest for a 308 MX began, they came out with the 338 MX and I am really leaning in that direction nowadays. The problem is that I have yet to see one in person and from my in person experience looking over 308 MXs, I refuse to special order one or otherwise buy sight unseen. But I'm keeping my 338 MX money unspent so that when I do run across one, if it is acceptable in terms of build quality, I'll buy it.

The original poster's looks very nice from what I can see in the photo. I envy him. A lot!!

I hope he enjoys it for many decades to come!

T-C

·
Premium Member
12,566 Posts
Here's mine. There are some nice ones out there. Just keep looking.

·
Premium Member
1,698 Posts
If it shoots as good as it looks then you got it made :).

I bought 3 boxes of ammo and maybe should have bought more as they were $27, I plan to load for the 338MX, however dies and bullets will have to come later as SWMBO was not as excited about the rifle as I was Something about being tricked as it was the same as the other one just different bullets.
They never really understand, do they? ;D, Lonnie.

·
Premium Member
12,566 Posts
They sure don't... ;D

·
Team 45-70 Big Buck Contest Winner 2012
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks everyone for the positive comments.

Big Med - We still need to sync up, PM or Email me when things dry out, it is a swamp up here.

Hal - What brand/model scope do you have on your 338MX? That just looks like a match that would reach out a ways.

Lonnie - She's gonna take some effort before she'll OK a scope befitting this rifle ;)

I don't think that first picture does the rifle justice so I'm gonna keep trying. :D

-chris

·
Premium Member
1,698 Posts
I just can't see good enough at 300 yards to shoot open sights. I have to use a scope on mine. I went with the Redfield 3x9x40 with the Accu-Range reticle. Not too bad of a price either, Lonnie.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
12,566 Posts
Three_oh_8MX said:
Thanks everyone for the positive comments.

Hal - What brand/model scope do you have on your 338MX? That just looks like a match that would reach out a ways.

-chris
Well, since you ask, this was rather interesting. I bought the gun off Gunbroker at what I thought was a really good price for just the gun, but it came with a scope and a DNZ high mount. I figured I'd sell the scope and put on a Nikon ProStaff 3-9X40 that I had. Well, when I got the gun it looked like it had never been fired. The gun, scope and mount looked brand new.

The scope is a Bushnell Banner Dusk & Dawn 3-9X40 with a circle-X reticle. It set too high for me with the DNZ high mount, so I removed the mount and sold it here on MO. I replaced it with a Leupold base and Weaver Quad-Lock rings and set it as low as I could. I had to remove the rear sight. I remounted the Bushnell (I was still planning on selling it on E-bay) and took it to the range for testing. I was really impressed with the clarity of the scope, the ease of adjustment and the circle-X reticle. So I left it on the gun. I killed a deer with it first time out at 145 yards, and so, regardless what folks say about Bushnell, the scope is staying on the rifle.

·
Premium Member
1,129 Posts
Hal: what is the model number or part number on that Leupold base you are using on your 338MX?

·
Premium Member
12,566 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
Chris you should at the Leupold VX3 CDS. I have 2 of them now. You call Leupold with the ballistic data and they make a custom ballistic drop dial for it. The dial has been dead on for me. I drilled that doe this fall at 370 yards. It is a nice set up for the 338 mx.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts