Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this at a gun show last week. It looked in good shape, then when I saw it was 32spl even better. The price was right so here it is. It has a marbles sight with no elevator. I walked to another table and I found one for it. The guy that sold me the elevator asked if I was selling this gun I said "no". He then replied " those marlins will never be worth much" I said yeah I know thanks for the elevator. It's funny what people say sometimes. It has been a long winter here in Minnesota. This rifle has put a smile on my face all week! Matt

·
Registered
515 Posts
A "waffle top" in .32 Special........Ooooohhh Baby!! A fine one you have there. Not worth much??? About as fine a deer killer as can be had IMHO!! As always, beauty and value are in the eye of the beholder.

Nice find! :D

·
Registered
9,665 Posts
That's a good looker. 8) 8)

·
Registered
395 Posts
I found a waffle top at my local shop last year also in 32spl.Its not in great shape but the owner left me shoot it before I bought it and it did well.I am shooting Ranch Dog's cast bullets in my 32s and so far they are working great.Congratulations on a great find.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Wow. That is a great find. Have fun with it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I've gotta say that is a really, really pretty rifle! Nice find man! I've never seen a forearm like that, but I am new to the many shapes that Marlins have taken. I'm sure it'll keep putting a smile on your face for as long as you have it...

Joe

·
Registered
29 Posts
blklghtj said:
I've gotta say that is a really, really pretty rifle! Nice find man! I've never seen a forearm like that, but I am new to the many shapes that Marlins have taken. I'm sure it'll keep putting a smile on your face for as long as you have it...

Joe
I love those 50's round bubbly fore ends. I think they're neat!

·
Registered
5,322 Posts
My 336SC from 1951 and 1958 are both in .32 Special. I shoot only cast in the 1951. I use the RCBS 08-170FNGC.
Shoots great in mine. My cast from the RCBS mould weigh 182gr lubed and gas checked. Only ever shot ground hogs with them so far. That bullet sure snaps a ground hog and leaves quite an exit hole. We just casted some
Lyman 321297 bullets for the .32 Special. Lubed and gas checked the 321297's weigh 190gr. I have feeding issues
with that bullet and I'm still trying to work the kinks out. Swaney gave me some pointers and it helped a lot. Now
I gotta see if they shoot well. The 321297 is longer than the 08-170. I have to seat the 321297 at the upper edge
of the front driving band without crimp. Now I have to range test them.
358 Win

·
Premium Member
1,880 Posts
Congratulations on an awesome find!

·
Administrator
23,807 Posts
Now you are "Special" you will enjoy it. ;D

That gun never had a ramp on it. Lot of them were that way in the early 50's. You lucked out that gun is in sweet shape.

Notice you don't have the Marlin "Flop" in the trigger, it is one piece.

Notice behind the trigger no trigger block safety.

Under the stock it should have two places for the mainsprings retainer.

·
Premium Member
878 Posts
swany said:
Now you are "Special" you will enjoy it. ;D

That gun never had a ramp on it. Lot of them were that way in the early 50's. You lucked out that gun is in sweet shape.
I think he meant rear sight "elevator" rather than ramp!? I was confused at first, too, knowing that the front sight was dovetailed behind the barrel band on that model. After blowing up the pictures, I think the rear sight is the Marbles referred to?
It is a BEAUTY, with outstanding original bluing - great find, enjoy and shoot straight!!!

·
Premium Member
2,277 Posts
Sweet!!Thats one of the nicest RC's I've ever seen.A great find.Enjoy.

·
Registered
229 Posts
It's funny that they say "Marlins aren't worth much" when they are buying. When they are selling it's a limited edition, hard to find, rare, only shot on sunday by a little old lady, rifle.
Congrat's really nice rifle.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Congrats on a beautiful rifle! I don't care what the guy at the show says, they're definitely worth every penny to those of us who love them. Just shows how much he doesn't know anyway.

·
Premium Member
9,463 Posts
Congrats on finding a very pretty rifle in a fine chambering. I agree with what Hank Hunter posted. The value of an item one wants to buy is always different from the value that one wants to sell it for.

Besides, your Marlin is worth at least what you paid for it to you. I've always managed to get some very good prices on my Marlins, but I know I've probably paid to much for a couple of Marlins that I really wanted bought on-line through Gun Broker. But, as long as one is happy with the deal one has gotten it doesn't really matter much at all. And, I don't plan on selling any of my Marlins, so it really doesn't matter at all from that standpoint either. Just enjoy yours; that's all that matters.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
I bet you laughed all the way home with your "worthless" old rifle....I'd bet a weeks pay that guy was a used car salesman

1 - 19 of 19 Posts