Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seeing pictures of the Marlin SBL last year started me on the road to wanting a 45/70. Since the SBLs were out of stock at any of my local gun stores and the wait time was an estimated six months I decided to buy an older used Guide Gun as an interim measure. I am now glad I did.

The SBLs are finally in stock locally and I looked at one yesterday. It was better than I expected given that they are now made by Remington. However the action was very rough and stiff, the trigger pull was atrocious, and the stock to action fit was very poor. Looking from the side, there was a 1/8 inch gap between the frame and the butt stock, and looking from the top the wood on the left side was about 1/8 inch higher than the matching flange on the frame.

If someone was not familiar with what to expect from the old Marlins I am sure they would be happy with the SBL. The checkering was reasonable, the laminate wood in the stock was nice and it didn’t have the extra dovetail in the barrel.

But now that I have the classic Guide Gun and recently picked up an almost new 1895 XLR in 45/70 I see no reason to get the SBL.

·
Registered
32,306 Posts
There's nothing wrong with the two you now have. Good luck with 'em.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts