Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
M-94 .357 pre lock micro groove
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did the count. Nine rifles and eight handguns. So it’s getting to the point it’s really dumb to not have a safe. So I noticed the Father’s Day sales are on.

I found the perfect size safe to fit all the guns with room for a couple more at Tractor Supply.

I don’t keep all the guns in there. Home defense and CCW guns stay out but they will fit when we leave the house.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Very nice. I bought one just like it but larger from Tractor Supply last year. Previously I had two smaller Stack on brand and that wasnt cutting it. They kept it out of the hands of kids but a thief could use tools in my garage to peel em open. My only beef with the safes is they dont hold nearly the number of long guns that they advertise they will.
Yes! This said it holds 12. It has 12 slots but there’s no way the buttstocks will all fit. I have 6 in there and there’s room for a couple more but that’s it

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I bought the same safe for my bedroom closet to keep the guns I might need in a hurry close. Definitely does not hold as many as it says it will but it's a nice safe. Do like the others said and bolt it to the floor.
I know that’s the correct answer but here’s my problem. There’s only holes for bolting on the bottom. But I feel if it was bolted into the slab only and a thief had the time, because it’s tall and skinny he/ they could easily get enough torque to pull the anchors out.

I think the only way bolting it to the floor is worth messing up the hardwood floor is if I drilled holes in the back near the top and bolted to the wall as well so no torque could be developed to un anchor the bottom.

Gonna think on it

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok except for mine and my wife’s concealed carry guns which will easily fit if we had to. Here’s what fills the safe. With all this there really isn't room for anything else long gun wise. However I am holding three rifles for a friend. So if he ever comes back for them. I’ll have room for three more. Lol

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The main reason everyone says bolt it down,thieves will steal the safe. They can take time to crack it later.
Yes, that’s obvious. But bolting it down to the floor only probably isint enough. A large pry bar and a big guy or two pulling and I think any anchor in the slab will give way.

I say a serious professional thief will get the safe if he wants it no matter what you do. A riff raff burgler isint going to be prepared or capable of running off with 300 pounds of iron.

My biggest concern was to be able to secure the weapons. We have 11 grandchildren and although they wouldn’t look for guns to play with. You have to satisfy the anti gunners these days

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Nice you got a safe. However when that electronic locks goes bad you are screwed. Hope yours doesn't break. Safes as those made overseas have zero support for such repairs. I will not buy a safe with an electronic key pad. Cannon another safe seller offers zero support on electronic key pads. My safe has a S&G combination lock. The only way to go.
Not screwed…It has key back up. Just remove the keypad and there’s the keyhole

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Always buy a safe larger than your need. I have a handgun safe in the master bedroom. It holds several guns and other stuff. I have an 18-gun safe that sits next to my 48-gun safe. My Darling Bride has told me she doesn't care how many guns I buy but I am not allowed to bring another safe into the house.
I agree with that philosophy however, I don’t see me buying any more guns except if a deal ever came up on my one grail gun. And one more will fit.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I agree!

I refuse to buy any safes with electronic locks.
I probably wouldn’t have either if it didn’t have the key back up. It works great, already tried it. So in the event someday. I’ll remove the key pad and use the key. I’m sure a new electronic unit can be had but if not a key is fine with me

1 - 8 of 8 Posts