Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a 1894 44 mag baby... I already have the 1894c and love it.

I was debating between 44 and 3030. For my hunting style 44 just made more sense.

So now Stainless or blue is the question? For texas it doesn't matter much but I will be living in Montana in a few years...

Which would ya'll go for?

·
Registered
259 Posts
Well, I like blue, and I wanted a blued one, but when a killer deal on a stainless came along, I got the stainless...

Since then, it has been a remarkably-accurate shooter, and it feeds all sorts of bullet shapes/designs well (YMMV).

But, I've been noticing a LOT of the postings talking about the amazing accuracy of the 44 Mag 1894s has been with stainless guns... SO, I'd probably go stainless.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
I think it's a personal preference thing. If MMA10mm is right though, it might be worth looking at a stainless.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I like a blued gun, especially in a lever. It just seems more appropriate to me.
GH1 :)

·
Premium Member
3,536 Posts
I think blued looks better, stainless might be more practical in a damp climate tho. I have both and operate in about as damp an environment as I would care to live in and so far haven't gotten any rust on my blued guns. Just gotta take care of them a bit more.

·
Registered
711 Posts
I vote stainless...

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
-Drooling- :eek: Radar 1 that is one beautiful 1894

·
Premium Member
18,026 Posts
I'll cast a vote for Stainless. I like the traditional look of blued steel and nice wood, but there's also something really slick about the look of stainless and walnut. The finish doesn't have to be pampered, blemishes can be smoothed out or buffed up easily in a few minutes, and if it ever does rust, you don't have to get it refinished. I'm also convinced stainless guns get slicker, and they do it faster than blued guns.

·
Registered
9,496 Posts
So PJ, does that mean they also wareout faster?

Mark.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Mine is in blue which I think is prettier. It is a hunting rifle though and I will cast my vote for stainless.

I bought mine before stainless was available.

Corbi

·
Premium Member
18,026 Posts
Oz said:
So PJ, does that mean they also wareout faster?
I'll let you know. I'm doing my best to wear out my 1894's, but the durn things just keep on shooting.........and hitting everything I point them at. Just my bad luck, I guess. ;)

·
Premium Member
2,575 Posts
Nightowl,

It really isn't that important which finish as long as it is an 1894. Now if you want some quick and easy target acquisition on those troublesome hogs down in the Lone Star State plus some bling on your new toy, you really only have 1 choice.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts