Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MY 444 is standing proud in my gun cabinet, until recently. I love my Marlin and would never be without one or probably this one. But recently I sold two rifles, my 416 rem mag and my 300 mag and opted for a new 375 Ruger Alaskan and I am thinking this is going to be my main rifle. I do a lot of open country shooting so the 444 is not always the best choice. I really like carrying the Marlin in timber and more confined country , so it will still get out from time to time, but my new Alaskan is the same length and feels soooooo good lol. Although I just loaded up another 50 shells for the 444 so I have intentions of getting it out. I am glad I do not have a lot of guns or I would never know what to take. How do you guys decide what to use when you have 10, 20 or 30 rifles to chose from ?

·
Super Moderator
7,957 Posts
The way I hunt is like I'm always Bowhunting, that way it matters less what rifle I use.

·
Super Moderator
7,957 Posts
I have many rifles to choose from, when deer hunting with a rifle it's always the 444, it just works so well, on bigger game like Elk, I have to choose between the 444 or the 350remmag, that's a hard choice! For plains game and muledeer 99% of the time I use my 25-06. Varmints get the 223 or the 22-250. Truthfuly I could get rid of any other rifles I have!

·
Premium Member
1,084 Posts
After taking my first pig with my 444 with open sights I pretty much retired my 30-06, 308, and 35 Remington. There is nothing like getting up close and personal with your 444. If I had a 100 rifles I would still only hunt with my 444.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Variety is a good thing. I have some duplication in my rifle inventory- but I also have some specialization. For example- I have a compact light recoiling 308 that is designated for tree stand use. Also a 250 Savage for the trees. For long range coverage in the orchard- a 308 Norma Mag. And 30-06 for back up. For bear- 338-06 or 444 Marlin.

As you can see, I have rationalized my purchases.

My wife uses my 338-06 for everything. EVERYTHING. With Barnes 210 gr XBTs too. I even got her an FN 7x57... didn't work. She bought herself a 8x57 that we worked into a copy of the 338-06. Didn't work- she grabbed my 338-06 and went off by herself last deer season.

Variety is good- I think. But wife is faithful to my 338-06. It could be worse.

M

·
Super Moderator
7,957 Posts
My Wife has a 338-06 that I built on a Mauser action, she loves it, one of her other rifles is a Remington mountain rifle in 7mm-08, it's a very sweet accurate package.
But her Favorite is her Marlin 444, it's a 1988 model and she shoots it great. I'm sure no matter what my wife hunted the 444 would be taken along.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Starrbow-

Thanks for the warning. I'm not going to let my wife try my 444.

Or maybe I should just get her one of her own?

M

1 - 7 of 7 Posts