Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Missing Marlin 336A 35 REM Story

So, I spotted an unmolested 1951 336A 35 REM last week on one of the auction sites with a no reserve starting bid of $375, $400 buy-it-now. A really really clean shooter. I says to myself, that won’t last the day. It lasted all week, and nobody bid on it, over 400 views. I couldn’t believe it. I got busy, and forgot about it.

So, this afternoon, I’m checking around, and see it re-listed a few days ago. Still no bids. I says to myself, call’m and offer a take-it-or-leave-it-low-ball bid in the dirt. They tell me it was a consignment, and will call me back when they hear back from the owner. Owner turns down offer. Ok fine, whatever. I didn’t have to have it.

Now it’s beer thirty, so I jump in duh pickup truck, and drive around the corner to visit a good ole boy I haven’t seen in about a month. Want a beer? Sure. It doesn’t take long for the gun subject to come up between us, and out come the unloaded big-bore wheel guns and rifles, so we can spin in our hands, talk trash about wishing we were in duh woods hunting, etc.

I tell him about some of the sweet Marlin cold blue metal I’ve purchased this month, and the Marlin 1951 I halfway attempted to get, and missed. He loves Marlins too, has a 1895CB, and a 1894 44 REM MAG. No 35 REM though. So…I pull up the gun on his desktop, and show it to him…remember, he doesn’t have a 35.

He says to me, knowing I have a few sweet 35’s, and none are really “truck guns”…this one is, and this one is a really good deal, so he says… “I dare you to buy that one right now”.

What he didn’t realize, was when I signed onto the web sight, he had it where his password was already there, so I was on “his” account…and remember…he “needs” a 336A waffle 35 REM in his collection, because what’s a collection without a 336A 35 REM, right?

So…when he dared me….I simply asked him to, “Hold My Beer”, because what are friends for, right?

[Spins a wheel gun in my hand] Hey bud?...Yep [he spins another big-bore wheel gun in his hand]…you are now the proud owner of a 1951 336A 35 REM unmolested Waffle-Top…Got another beer?

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Alcohol and late night browsing on gun sites can be bad financial medicine. A friend of mine with deep pockets bemoaned having bought a high end engraved custom 1911 one night and wished he hadn't. A 5K .45 even to someone with the funds can still be a regret. My own regrets as mentioned above involved less than what was described purchases off of GB and GI for considerably more than I should have.

·
Registered
5,825 Posts
I have a friend who has "pushed" me into a gun purchase or three, we would be looking at something and he would say " if you don't buy it I will". I still have most of those and I have also put him in the corner a couple of times as well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.