Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
I have sent numerous emails through the site with no response what so ever. I have also called the number listed and it always says "closed." anyone know how to proceed with repair work.
I am not in the least bit surprised. With Remington/Freedom group going through bankruptcy and the Marlin brand name being sold to Ruger, you’d be hard pressed to get any warranty work done on a Marlin. We will have to wait and see if Ruger honors warranties on Remington produced Marlins when they finally get the brand up and running. However, if you post a thread on here with problems, there are so many knowledgeable guys that will help you work through the problems. I have learned a great deal on here. But, when it comes to warranty work and customer service on lever actions, Henry is by leaps and bounds the greatest. I hope you work out the bugs.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I appreciate the reply. I bought a 336 Dark in 45-70 a year back and just had a chance last weekend to try it out. Love the gun but it had some serious problems.

1. intermittent lock up caused by the hammer wedging into the notch on the underside of the bolt when trying to close the action.

2. Starting with #1, and when i was able to get it to close completely it fired on closure. No finger near the trigger, so some kind of slam fire. Its a 45-70 so luckily the butt was firmly in my thigh.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Start looking in your area for a gunsmith. Currently parts are still available through Numrich

·
Registered
473 Posts
They are now owned by Ruger, maybe you could contact them, I would give that a try. Go to the Ruger web site and get a phone number.

·
Registered
7,005 Posts
Let us know what problems you are having--in a new post.

Maybe we can help you out.

·
Super Moderator
15,494 Posts
You can always you tube search, however I prefer the one step at a time method, rather than interrupt what I'm doing by stopping the vid and then proceeding to the next step....oops missed than better rewind back to that step. Step one is assessing your issue is clean the firearm, slam fire for a Marlin is a new one, don't think I heard that mentioned here. Good luck! Disassembly & assembly of 1895 with pics

·
Registered
306 Posts
Since you've already let it sit for a year I wouldn't touch it. Contact Ruger just to open a dialog. They may be able to help you at some point. It's in their best interest to do so even if not obligated.

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
That is part of the problem with brand names switching hands, Remington was producing copies of the old Marlin Company rifles, which they were staring to do a pretty job of, but the problem is with Remington not Marlin. Don't know if Ruger is going to honor warranty repairs of Remington rifles or not, in the mean time a good gunsmith can probably set it right, but at your cost.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Appreciate all the replies. Will call Ruger monday. Will also look for a local smith, but may just take her apart amd see if i can figure it out

·
Registered
223 Posts
Appreciate all the replies. Will call Ruger monday. Will also look for a local smith, but may just take her apart amd see if i can figure it out
I'd leave it alone if you are panning on contacting Ruger or a gunsmith. If you screw something up you will be S.O.L.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'd leave it alone if you are panning on contacting Ruger or a gunsmith. If you screw something up you will be S.O.L.
oh yes, COA #1 is Ruger, #2 a smith, and #3 me. The way its gone so far though im just assuming i may have to do it

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
What part of the country are you in? Maybe some MO members can recommend a good smith.
Does it do it when you cycle it dry? The safety will stop the hammer from contacting the firing pin.
Marlins are really simple to take apart.

·
Registered
7,462 Posts
I agree with @Padraig in that you can field strip it without voiding the warrantee. Most people clean their guns from the breach end and you have to remove the lever and bolt to do so.

The only way that you could get a slam fire is if something is jamming the firing pin or the hammer fell when the bolt closed. I would start with a good cleaning to remove any stuff left over from manufacturing and making sure the firing pin moves freely in the bolt. We may be able to help you out with pictures and dialog if you feel comfortable with that sort of thing.

Welcome to MO!

·
Premium Member
954 Posts
See my post about warranty work at Marlin. From my interaction with them, it seems all our warranties are void now like folks have been responding.

-Bob

1 - 20 of 26 Posts