Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I probably should have asked this before I started bidding on the 1894c today. It is chambered for 44 magnums. Having avoided any guns that start with 4, I know precious little about them. Background noise and a brief web search leads me to believe that this is correct, but would like to hear from some knowledgeable members here. Itseems to me that this is somewhat akin to shooting 38s in my 357s.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
On the newer 1894's it lists 44 mag and 44 spl right on the barrell so I would have to say you are fine. Good luck bidding :)

·
Premium Member
3,536 Posts
Athanasor said:
I probably should have asked this before I started bidding on the 1894c today. It is chambered for 44 magnums. Having avoided any guns that start with 4, I know precious little about them. Background noise and a brief web search leads me to believe that this is correct, but would like to hear from some knowledgeable members here. Itseems to me that this is somewhat akin to shooting 38s in my 357s.
Shoot 44 specials all day long in the 44 mag. Be careful on what you are bidding on however, I think the 1894c is a .357

·
Registered
583 Posts
1894c is .357Mag, the 1894/1894ss are 44Mag/44Spcl. Have found when I've purchased ammo, 44Mag was actually cheaper than 44Spcl ... just something to consider. If you reload, no worries.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My fault for putting the c in the name of the rifle. I have an 1894c - the one I'm bidding on is an 1894 in 44 Mag. It will be my way of having an excuse to get a Ruger Redhawk so I have a companion revolver ;)

Funny the things we can dream up to say rather than "because I want it".

·
Registered
522 Posts
The only difference is like the 38/357 protocol the longer case length is to prevent the more powerful cartridge from being used in the weaker firearm. You may want to consider a Blackhawk or a Vaquero rather than a Redhawk as the companion just to keep "style" the same.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tom in Arizona said:
The only difference is like the 38/357 protocol the longer case length is to prevent the more powerful cartridge from being used in the weaker firearm. You may want to consider a Blackhawk or a Vaquero rather than a Redhawk as the companion just to keep "style" the same.
By style, I assume you mean the western theme. I was just considering the caliber match. Since I already have a Blackhawk I just thought another double action in 44 mag would fit in...but I can be swayed, in fact I was kinda lookin over some Vaqueros this morning. But the ones I was perusing were 45s. ;D

·
Registered
522 Posts
I just bought an 1894c the day before yesterday and thought about a Blackhawk or Vaquero to go along with it. But I have quite a number of double action 38's and 357's already so I will forget that idea as I can live without "style" or whatever.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Yes you can shoot 44 spl. have been for years, it's just like shooting .38 out of a .357. Mine will shoot 44 spl. just fine but the shorter 44 russian will jam.

·
Premium Member
2,403 Posts
I will add this...........The first gun I bought when I turned 18 (1977)was a new Marlin 1894, 44 Magnum. It is labeled 44 Magnum. It will not cycle 44 Specials from the magazine. I learned this while working with my eldest daughter, preparing her for deer season. I single loaded the specials during our practice session. We used magnums for hunting. So yes, you can fire specials in your 44 mag. The latest versions were marked 44Spec/Mag and will cycle.

Papalote

·
Premium Member
5,327 Posts
You should have no problem shooting .44 Specials in a 1894. Mine dates to 1976 and will feed both Specials and Magnums well, providing I stay away from some of the sharp-shouldered SWC's.

And who says a DA revolver is not a good match with a lever gun? ::)

Smith & Marlin

Roe

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I won the auction, got a little "Buck Fever" the last half hour. Think I did well - no bargain, but appears to be a fine older Marlin.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Nice. Shoot all the .44 Spls you want but you can get the Mag about the same price. If you reload Trail Boss makes a very lite recoil load. Have much fun.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts